A bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons) or equivalent qualification.
You will also need:
- a teaching qualification (QTS, QTLS, Diploma in Education and Training) (required for Teacher of the Deaf award)
- two years of teaching experience or experience of working with deaf children in educational settings
- access to a school or service's audiological resources and support
- British (or local) Sign Language CACDP/ Signature/ iBSL Level 1 (required for Teacher of the Deaf award) or equivalent
- access to local sign language tuition
- access to internet facilities for e-learning
Months of entry
Taught over two years through a combination of face-to-face and online learning, this course leads to an MA in Deaf Education with the option of a Teacher of the Deaf (ToD) qualification, approved by the Department for Education (DfE).
Students will benefit from a combination of day schools and regional tutorials with online learning and virtual tutorial support. The taught sessions include readings and tasks designed to consider theoretical perspectives, reflecting current research within a rapidly changing dynamic field and the implications for practice.
Deaf children’s language experience and development is fundamental to the degree and is embedded through all aspects of the course, as well as receiving specific consideration in the deafness and development and educational audiology modules.
The MA Deaf Education (ToD) integrates cutting-edge research knowledge with practitioner expertise to develop skilled, knowledgeable and critical practitioners.
The MA Deaf Education (without ToD qualification) follows the same core modules but does not require completion of the Professional Skills: Learning, Teaching and Audiology module (for all non UK based students).
We welcome suitably qualified deaf and hearing applicants, and provide appropriate access and support arrangements for all students. Bursaries are offered to UK Deaf Education schools or services funding more than one student per school or service in a single year.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24 months
- Distance learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions Office
- +44 (0)113 343 4602