All PGCE courses require the following.
- English Language and Mathematics GCSEs (or equivalent) with grade C or higher
- Primary programs also require a GCSE Science (or equivalent) with grade C or higher
- A satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure from the Criminal Records Bureau (or, for candidates from overseas, the equivalent level of clearance)
- A degree (must be in a relevant subject for Secondary level)
- You must also be able to demonstrate that you are able to communicate effectively in spoken and written English
- You must meet the Secretary of State's requirements for physical and mental fitness to teach.
All students starting an Initial Teacher Training (ITT) course are required to pass the Professional Skills tests in literacy and numeracy before the start of the programme.
All applicants should ideally have completed about 10 days observation in a UK state school looking at the teaching of the subject/s of the PGCE course for which you are applying.
Months of entry
The University of Leeds works in partnership with Red Kite to deliver School Centred Initial Teacher Training (SCITT).
Qualified Teacher Status is awarded through the SCITT training programme, and the Postgraduate Certificate in Education is awarded by the University of Leeds.
You can Train to Teach with Leeds through our SCITT Partner:
- in the full range of secondary subjects and primary age ranges
- to develop your knowledge of teaching and learning theory through our SCITT PGCE programme
- to work towards 60 Masters credits that can be transferred into our range of professional development Masters courses.
Fees and funding
For more detail on funding opportunities go to: http://www.education.leeds.ac.uk/teacher-training/
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Student Recruitment Team
- +44 (0)113 343 4550