A bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons) in a relevant science subject, usually including modules in food processing and/or engineering.
A bachelor degree with a 2:2 (hons) in a relevant science subject will be considered for candidates with food-related industry and/or research experience.
We expect all applicants to provide a supporting statement indicating a career aim or interest in food product development, knowledge of which is the key objective of this degree.
For more information, please contact the Admissions Team.
Months of entry
Never before has the quality of food been more important in our society. Governments across the world are putting pressure on the food industry to ensure products are safe and made to a high standard. That’s why the demand for qualified experts in this field is ever-growing — and the career opportunities are vast.
The Food Product Innovation MSc is designed around the entire process of food product development — from concept to launch. We focus on consumer-led product development, where consumers play a key role during the whole development process. You’ll develop in-depth specialist knowledge needed to ensure that newly developed food products meet the necessary processing requirements for ensuring the quality and safety of food. Alongside, you’ll gain a broad understanding of legislation and how this impacts the industry.
It’s this combination of scientific acumen, awareness of international requirements and the industry-relevant skill set in areas, like sensory evaluation and product design, that’ll attract employers in industry.
Studying an MSc in the School of Food Science and Nutrition at Leeds will also give you access to specialist facilities that’ll prepare you for working in the field and a programme team consisting of academics and researchers who work within the School’s research institutes and groups.
Why study at Leeds:
- This Masters degree is accredited by the Institution of Food Science and Technology.
- Our globally-renowned research here at Leeds feeds into your course and shapes your learning with the latest thinking.
- Advance your knowledge and skills in critical areas sought after in industry, including food processing, food product development, sensory science and food systems and sustainability.
- Work as a team, develop interpersonal skills and understand practical issues of communicating scientific results to a wider non-scientific audience.
- Access specialist facilities, including computerised sensory testing and electron microscopy facilities, texture analysers, rheometers, tribometers, spectrophotometers, spinning disc reactor and HPLC and GC analytical equipment.
- Experience excellent practical and theoretical teaching delivered by a programme team with a wealth of expertise and strong industrial links.
- Enhance your career prospects and join our successful alumni who have pursued careers in big companies in industry including Kerry Foods, Wharfe Bank Brewery and Arla Foods.
- Master the most up-to-date practices and techniques recognised in industry on a course that has been directly informed and advised by the Industrial Advisory Board.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- +44 (0)113 343 0347