A 2:1 honours degree, or equivalent, in a related subject other equivalent qualifications/work experience. IELTS 6.5 with at least 6.0 in all components.
Months of entry
The MA in Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies offers you the opportunity to deepen your understanding of the cultural, political, religious and historical dimensions which contributed to the making of the modern Middle East and North Africa (MENA) and will shape its development in the 21st century. You will be taught by experts on the MENA region, with a strong research record. Alongside the core study of Islam and Politics, the MA programme offers a wide range of subject areas, which examine the region from diverse perspectives, and also offers the opportunity to study the Arabic, Persian and Turkish languages.
• Islam, Politics and Culture in the Middle East and North Africa
• Research Methods and Bibliography
• Dissertation in Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies
• Authoritarianism, Popular Revolt and Democratisation in the Middle East
• Comparative Arabic/English Stylistics
• Hadith Studies: History, Criticism and Canonisation
• Islam and Modernity
• Modern Arabic Media
• Muslim Intellectual Encounter with Contemporary Thought
• Turkish & Persian, and Arabic: at all levels
Alternatively, you may choose one module from a range of options related to international studies, religious studies, intercultural studies and gender studies.
Information for international students
The University of Leeds welcomes international students. English language is required (eg. IELTS). For details please refer to the School website or entry requirements. Accommodation is guaranteed for all new international students paying fees at non-EU rate.
Fees and funding
There are a number of scholarships available to both UK/EU and international students. For further information please click here.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions Team
- +44 (0)113 343 3234