- GCSE English language and Maths grade C or above or equivalent
- Relevant undergraduate degree in a related field including BSc (Hons) Clinical Physiology (Cardiology) or BSc (Hons) Healthcare Science (Cardiac Physiology) or equivalent e.g. HNC/D Medical Physics & Physiological Measurement (MPPM)
- Undergraduate degree in a related field 2:2 including cardiac physiology, medicine, nursing, radiography, or equivalent
Months of entry
Echocardiography specialists work in a challenging and stimulating hospital environment, combining caring for patients with analytical problem solving to ensure excellent healthcare and patient support.
Echocardiographers use ultrasound technology to examine a patient’s heart. They do this using a transducer that sends ultrasound waves through the patient's chest to structures in the heart; valves, chambers and other vessels. The readings are sent to a machine that translates them into a live image, which can be recorded and used to diagnose conditions.
The PG Cert Echocardiography course is designed to match the professional development needs of healthcare professionals working with patients with conditions such as: ischaemic heart disease, heart failure, adult congenital heart disease, cardiomyopathies and pericardial disease. It develops highly competent practitioners/ advanced practitioners who will make a real contribution to modern healthcare services.
The course offers you:
- Specialist clinical expertise underpinned by in-depth theoretical knowledge, including the opportunity to apply learning to work based issues in echocardiography and echocardiography pathology
- The opportunity to acquire an in-depth theoretical knowledge and understanding of the underlying scientific and technological principles of diagnostic ultrasound and a critical understanding of current and emergent diagnostic imaging equipment and technology
- Skills and knowledge which will enable you to perform a range of clinical examinations to high standards of diagnostic accuracy and safety
- An understanding of the evidence and research base of the discipline
- Access to research cardiologists specifically researching into cardiac ultrasound
- Research active Cardiac Physiologists teaching on the programme allowing up to date and research led teaching
This specialist course will appeal to a range of healthcare professionals including:
- Cardiac Physiologists
- Hospital Doctors/GPs
- Cardiac Nurse Specialists
- Physician Associates
- Allied Health Professionals
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Leeds Institute of Health Sciences Admissions