Applicants for the distance learning PhD in Sociology must meet the University's standard academic entry requirements (minimum 2:1) and English language requirements. As part of your application you will need to submit a good quality research proposal.
Months of entry
January, October, July, April
We have nearly twenty years' experience in supporting distance learning postgraduates.
Distance learning PhD candidates undertake a structured programme of research training, delivered entirely through a combination of module books and interactive tasks, readings, and discussion through the University's online virtual learning environment.
The training covers core skills including:
- Requirements of the PhD degree and expectations for the thesis
- Finding and reviewing academic literature
- Formulating and refining research questions
- Research ethics
- Academic writing
- Quantitative research and analysis
- Qualitative research and analysis
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Dept. Sociology
- Tel: +44 (0)116 252 2750
- FAX: +44 (0)116 252 5259