This course is aimed at teachers and other professionals working in the TESOL field. You should have: •At least a second-class honours degree (or its equivalent from a non-UK university; GPA 3.0 or above), preferably in English language, linguistics or education •Plus: a recognised qualification in teaching English as a foreign language •Plus: at least one year’s full-time equivalent teaching experience. We will also consider serving teachers if you have equivalent qualifications or qualified teacher status and significant experience. We will also consider serving teachers if you have equivalent qualifications or qualified teacher status and significant experience. If you are not a native speaker of English you must have a proficiency level equivalent to IELTS 6.5 with a minimum of 6 in all sub-sections.
Months of entry
The Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching English for Academic Purposes (TEAP) will provide you with the core competencies required for the design and delivery of effective teaching programmes in English for Academic Purposes (EAP), while furthering your knowledge across the range of key concepts and issues related to teaching EAP.
This course will develop the knowledge and skills required of you as an expert EAP practitioner. The modules you will study relate to - and are closely informed by - the competency framework set out by BALEAP, the leading professional organisation for EAP in the UK.
The course will provide you with:
- Enhanced employment prospects in the field through gaining a specialist postgraduate qualification and developing the knowledge and skills required of an expert EAP practitioner.
- Knowledge of academic practice, academic contexts, disciplinary practice, academic discourse, personal learning, development and autonomy.
- Understanding of EAP students' needs, student critical thinking and student autonomy.
- Skill in syllabus and programme development, text processing and text production, as well as in programme implementation and assessment practices.
- The ability to manage, reflect and enhance your own learning.
- Opportunities to extend your range of transferable skills, including your study and research skills.
This course is a unique platform for developing your experience and knowledge of TEAP because it combines the knowledge and experience of our School of Education in delivering distance learning courses with the skills of staff from our English Language Teaching Unit, who are active practitioners in teaching EAP.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Course administrator
- +44(0)116 229 7859