A primary degree in French, or an interdisciplinary degree including the study of French to degree level, with first or second class honour, or an approved equivalent qualification. Candidates should have a high level of language skills. A substantial period of residence in a French-speaking country would be an advantage.
Months of entry
This programme enables graduates in French, or interdisciplinary programmes including the study of French to degree level, to perfect their language skills and to study in depth areas of language, literature, culture and society in the French-speaking world. It also functions as an introduction to postgraduate research in the four key areas studied. Because of its emphasis on language skills and on second language acquisition, the programme is of particular interest to teachers of French and to those planning a career in French Studies in higher education.
Information for international students
Applicants whose first language is not English must provide evidence of either prior successful completion of a degree qualification taught through the medium of English or meet one of the criteria below (no longer than two years prior to application):
Acceptable English Language qualifications include the following:
- Matriculation examinations from European countries where English is presented as a subject and an acceptable level is achieved
- Irish Leaving Certificate English –Ordinary Level Grade D or above
- TOEFL – 580 (paper based) or 90 (internet based)
- IELTS – Minimum score of 6.5* with no less than 6 in any one component.
- English Test for English and Academic Purposes (ETAPP) – Grade C1
- GCE ‘O’ level English Language/GCSE English Language – Grade C or above
- University of Cambridge ESOL –Certificate of Proficiency in English - Grade C / Certificate in Advanced English Grade A
- GCE Examination Boards – Oxford Delegacy of Local Examinations – Grade C / Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate – School Certificate Pass 1-6 / University of London Entrance and School Examinations Council – School Certificate Pass 1-6
Results in examinations other than those listed above may also be accepted as meeting our English language requirements. Contact the International Education Division for advice.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Michale G Kelly