The typical entry requirement is a Bachelors degree (with Honours) at 2:1 level or better in an appropriate field of study. Individual consideration is given to mature students with significant and relevant experience and with professional qualifications. The usual requirement is an upper second class honours degree in a social, life or public health science or related discipline (e.g. statistics, humanities). Candidates with professional qualifications and/or relevant experience who have degrees in non-cognate disciplines or with lower degree results are invited to apply; their individual circumstances will be considered by the Programme Director.
Months of entry
This programme provides an understanding of the problems posed by population changes and health dynamics in the contemporary world, giving students a deep understanding of population and health trends and competing explanations.
The programme covers the issues of population and health from an interdisciplinary perspective, including geographic, demographic, sociological, environmental and epidemiological approaches to the topics. Students receive a solid methodological training in, for example:
- Data Analysis Strategies and Techniques: Social survey analysis, Textual analysis, Descriptive statistics, Multivariate regression, Logistic regression;
- Demographic Theory and Analysis: Life table analysis, Cohort component projection method, Spatial microsimulation
- Geographic Information Systems: Computer mapping (GIS), Data modelling;
- Spatial Analysis: Statistics as social constructs, Handling hierarchical data, Geodemographics, Spatial autocorrelation, Geographically Weighted Regression, Spatial interaction modelling, Small area estimation;
- Survival and Event History Analysis: Time-to-event data, Product-limit method, Regression methods for duration data.
The core course team are based in the School of Environmental Sciences at the University of Liverpool, which has an international reputation in population studies.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- PG Recruitment
- +44 (0)151 794 5927