What qualifications do you need?
- An undergraduate degree in any subject (e.g. bachelor) comparable to a UK second-class honours degree from an institution acceptable to the University.
- At least two years’ experience as professionals in an educational setting, including experience of leading other educators. This is commonly a school, university or childcare setting, but we accept applicants from a wide range of educational institutions. As this is an applied course linking theory to practice, we also expect that you will remain in a leadership position throughout your studies.
Where an applicant does not have such qualifications, we invite them to set out in their personal statement why they are ready to engage with an academically rigorous programme.
If you have a qualification in an unrelated subject or an unconventional career path with diverse work experience, we will consider your application on its own merits.
Find equivalent qualifications where you live from our website.
Months of entry
The University of London is one of the largest, most diverse universities in the UK with over 120,000 students in London, and a further 50,000 studying across 180 countries for a University of London degree.
The course you study and all the materials provided are created and assessed by the University of London’s member institutions, which have international reputations for their teaching and research.
When you study with us, you will join over 52,000 students in every corner of the globe studying more than 100 different courses.
When you graduate, your prestigious University of London award will be valued globally and help you to pursue sought-after careers.
This programme is ideal both for those currently working in school leadership positions looking to advance their career, and in the wider field of education or pursue managerial, policy or consultancy roles.
“The course was superb for me. I was able to continue with my full time job as a teacher while studying from my home country. It was difficult juggling the two but I appreciated and enjoyed the whole experience. I would do it all over again.” Noelle Sempele, Kenya.
How you study
The programme is offered online and is fully supported by a Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). You study at a time and pace that suits you (subject to course-specific deadlines) using the study materials provided with support available from academic staff.
We will send you study materials developed by academics in educational management and leadership from the Institute of Education. You will also receive additional readings that have been specially selected to complement the core course material.
When you register, we will give you access to your Student Portal. You can then access your University of London email account and two other key resources:
- The Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) offers online learning support, focused conferencing and work spaces linked to specific activities, informal discussion areas, and links to resources;
- The Online Library holds thousands of journal articles which you can access free of charge. A dedicated helpdesk is available if you have any difficulties in finding what you need;
- Online tutors will mediate online conferences and provide advice on individual queries.
Fees and funding
See our website for details of funding.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details