2:2 (or international equivalent). Applicants should preferably have some experience of classroom language teaching, or hold a first degree which includes language teaching methodology components, or have attended a substantial language teaching methodology course. Official written evidence of teaching experience/training should be submitted at the time of application. Applicants whose first language is not Chinese should hold an HSK (hanyu shuiping kaoshi/Chinese Proficiency Test) Level 5 certificate (or approved equivalent), or have an approved first degree which includes a substantial Chinese language component (equivalent to HSK Level 5). Applicants without these qualifications may be considered on an individual basis.
Months of entry
This course is suitable if you are looking to take the journey of developing a career in the fast-growing area of Chinese language education in the UK or worldwide.
It is also for current Chinese language teachers keen to build on knowledge and experience, and for teachers of other subjects intending to move into this field, as well as those interested in course design, management or teacher training, both in the UK and internationally.
Our teaching is informed by leading research and we offer optional modules which reflect the latest in applied linguistics and language teacher education. You will learn in a modern, high-tech learning environment within a diverse and vibrant learning community of second and foreign language education, primary, secondary and higher education.
We offer a range of support including interactive, collaborative teaching methods, individual tutorials, opportunities to pursue your professional and research interests, access to extensive study materials and free support for developing proficiency in academic English.
Through this course, you will:
- gain knowledge and experience of research and current issues in languages teaching and learning
- develop your critical understanding of developments in TCSOL theory and practice
- prepare to design and deliver Chinese language programmes in various local and global teaching contexts
- obtain an internationally-recognised masters degree
- prepare for a career in Chinese teaching, course design or teacher training in education and relevant professions, in the private or public sector
- be ready to commence doctoral studies in applied linguistics, education and social science
You may have opportunities to visit schools, engage in teaching practice, attend talks given by invited speakers and participate in external workshops.
Information for international students
IELTS: 6.5 (no less than 6.0 in any element).
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Student Recruitment Support Hub
- +44 (0)115 951 5559