About The University of Nottingham Ningbo Campus
An international university in China…
The University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) was the first Sino-foreign university to open its doors in China. Established in 2004, with the full approval of the Chinese Ministry of Education, it is run by The University of Nottingham with co-operation from Zhejiang Wanli Education Group, a key player in the education sector in China.
- UNNC is home to more than 6,500 students- of which around 750 are international students, and more than 700 members of staff.
- The University is situated in a 144 acre (584,666m⊃2;) campus in Ningbo, Zhejiang province.
- Students can choose from 28 undergraduate courses and 22 postgraduate courses across three faculties: Business, Science and Engineering, Humanities and Social Sciences.
- The University has ten research centres and institutes.
- UNNC has China’s first carbon-neutral building, home to its Centre for Sustainable Energy Technologies (CSET).
- All new international students are guaranteed an offer of accommodation subject to certain conditions.
- More than 97% of UNNC graduates are employed or in further study six months after graduation
- More than 79% of students who chose to go on to further study went to a top 100 university, with many receiving full scholarships for PhD studies (QS World University Ranking 2015/16)
- More than 20% of students who chose to go on to further study went to a world top 10 university (QS World University Ranking 2015/16)
- More than 63% of those students in employment after graduation went to work for Fortune Global 500 companies, government or public institutions, or well-known Chinese companies
- UNNC graduates leave with a University of Nottingham degree that is recognised and valued by employers and universities all over the world.
A unique choice for postgraduate study
At The University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC), all our postgraduate programmes, coursework materials and exams are in English and at the end of your course you will graduate with a degree from The University of Nottingham. You'll be living in China at the height of its economic development and adding sought-after experience to your CV.
Our teaching is subject to the same quality assurance processes as The University of Nottingham, while our academic staff are either seconded from Nottingham UK or appointed internationally to The University of Nottingham's standards.
Postgraduate students benefit from personal tutors and dissertation supervisors who, in many cases, are experts in their fields, while our Career Development Office can support you in your career aspirations. We also have opportunities to study for a PhD once you have completed your course.
All postgraduate students are guaranteed accommodation on our purpose-built secure campus. An on-site medical clinic, shops, restaurants, sports facilities and a state-of-the-art library ensure you have everything you need close by, while high-speed internet means you can access online resources quickly and easily. Take a look at our Student Life video for an introduction to our campus and Ningbo city.
UNNC provides students postgraduate courses that constantly evolve to incorporate new research developments, regularly consulting with businesses and employers to ensure that students are able to develop key transferable skills for employment.
UNNC’s masters courses equip students with a curiosity-driven and deep understanding of the subject.
Students may also choose to study a PhD or MRes (Master of Research)- there are full-time research programmes available on a variety of subjects. View postgraduate study options on offer…
Taught masters courses
The University has an outstanding reputation for teaching quality and is consistently among the highest-ranking performers in independent teaching assessments.
We offer 15 taught masters courses, spanning a range of disciplines and subjects. Teaching is informed by the very latest research developments, and our taught courses are delivered by research scholars who are passionate about their subjects.
The University regularly consults with and surveys businesses and employers to ensure all our programmes are providing students with the opportunity to develop key transferable skills and improve employability.
- MSc Entrepreneurship
- MSc Finance and Investment
- MSc International Business
- MSc International Management
- MSc Finance and Investment in China
- MSc International Business in China
- MSc International Management in China
- MSc Geodesy and Surveying Engineering
- MSc Geospatial Engineering with Building Information Modelling（BIM）
- MSc in Electronic Communications and Computer Engineering with Industrial Internship
Our PhD programme offers flexible supervision between our campuses in China and the UK. Students will be registered at UNNC but depending on the proposed research topic, students may be required to spend part of their studies at The University of Nottingham UK, normally one year, and will have least two supervisors, one from UNNC and another from the UK.
Scholarships are available for exceptionally talented applicants, normally covering tuition fee, accommodation and living expenses and lasting for three years in most cases.
Fees and funding
Our annual master's tuition fee is 90,000 CNY. We are, however, committed to helping current and prospective postgraduates find funding to enable them to study at The University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC). A number of scholarships are available to academically talented students.
As a UNNC student, you will develop a global prospective that is attractive to employers - you may even choose to study Chinese language to further help you stand out in the international employment market. First-hand experience of one of the world's most influential cultures, in addition to a master's degree from a world-class university, will distinguish your CV from a competitive field.
All international students have the opportunity to learn Chinese, either by joining our free weekly beginners' course or by opting to study an optional language module within your masters (available for most courses). A number of language exchanges take place on campus, whilst learning Chinese in China will allow you to accelerate your learning.
Studying at UNNC does not only offer you the opportunity to graduate with a top masters degree but the chance to study in China, one of the world's most influential economies. Studying abroad provides you the chance to experience a new environment and culture, broadening your horizons, developing you as an individual and creating memories that will remain with you for life.
Populated with more than seven million people, Ningbo is a rapidly-growing city in Zhejiang province, China. One hour forty minutes from Shanghai by train, it was ranked 7th in Forbes' list of the top cities for business in China and is an exciting blend of enterprise, culture, education, tradition and entertainment. Housing one of the world's largest ports, the city is an attractive destination for foreign direct investment and import and export businesses. The city's excellent transport links mean that Ningbo is easy to travel around and an ideal base from which to explore China and Asia.
Ningbo is a rapidly growing city with more than six million people and a 7,000 year old history, allowing visitors to embrace both an exciting and culturally stimulating city.
Ranked in the top ten of cities for business in China by Forbes, it is a thriving blend of enterprise, culture, education, tradition and entertainment.
Ningbo offers an array of international shopping outlets, restaurants, clubs and bars. It also provides the chance to embrace culture and tradition. Unique temples and intricate streets that house markets boasting a variety of antiques, textiles and delicious Ningbo cuisine.
National and local festivities flaunt the delights of Chinese culture.
The city is a unique mix of modern sky-scrapers and traditional architecture, complimented with parkland and scenic spots.
The city's excellent transport links mean that Ningbo is an ideal location for students to explore the delights that both China and Asia have to offer.
The welcome programme, which takes place the week after registration, combines practical events and social activities. It's an excellent opportunity to meet new friends from across the world, as well as members of staff.
The Vis-a-Vis Programme runs alongside the welcome programme as well as through the academic year, providing monthly events for first-year students. Set up as a ‘buddy' system, new students are matched with continuing students in order to help them settle in and develop a good social and supportive network.
MyNottingham is a portal for applicants and students to access services and data. The range of available services is tailored to the individual experience of each user. It provides personalised information- all in one place, and can be accessed 24/7 and from any location. Students can manage finances, request support and check plan and course information via MyNottingham. Other information relevant to studies is also linked through the portal.
The Hub is UNNC’s ‘one stop’ student services hub.
Students will be assigned a personal tutor who is responsible for monitoring their progress and welfare.
The University has its own health clinic on campus to take care of any illnesses students may experience. The clinic is able to make referrals to any of the larger hospitals in Ningbo, should they need to.
The University Counselling Service is a professional service available to all registered students at no cost.
The University has residential buildings designated for international students- building 11, 18 and 20. All rooms are fully furnished and equipped with air conditioning and a telephone and computer point; enabling students to make and receive telephone calls and access the University's data network from their bedrooms.
- Building 11- All rooms are single occupancy and include a private shower-room and toilet.
- Building 18 - Accommodation in building 18 is fully furnished; these are four-room flats with a shared lounge/common room and two toilets.
- Building 20 - Accommodation in Hall 20 takes the form of fully furnished, four-room flats.
UNNC is a world top 30 choice for employers according to the QS World University Rankings 2013/14, and its graduates have found jobs with prominent Chinese employers such as Bank of China and Wahaha, as well as leading global companies such as Neilsen, AB InBev, Hilton, IKEA, KPMG, Nestle, ARUP, Standard Chartered Bank, DHL and Google.
Students who choose to continue their studies receive offers for further study from some of the world's top universities, including those in the United Kingdom, United States of America and Australia.
Added Career Benefits
Students will also have the chance to engage in activities that will enhance their CV, including:
- Taking part in the Nottingham Advantage Award - a free programme of activity focusing on skills, employability and personal development. Students can study modules focused on career skills, mentoring, cultural awareness, entrepreneurship and volunteering.
- Completing internships outside of university. In the past, students have worked for many international companies including IBM, Microsoft, Siemens and Ogilvy.
- Learning Mandarin Chinese, through free, optional classes (for international students).
- Building up network and connections in China, as well as internationally through classmates and lecturers.
- Being able to access the services and programmes provided by the UNNC Career Development Office, which offer students job market information and career advice.
Our online prospectus has details of all the University's courses and research opportunities.
To request a printed prospectus, please call email us at email@example.com
Find out more or contact us
You are welcome to visit us at any time. Just contact us so we can help you arrange a time to view facilities, meet staff and explore our campus. If you can't make it in person connect with us on our social media channels or see Study at a UK university in China