Normally an Honours degree at 2:2 level or above/international equivalent. 9 months or more work experience.
Months of entry
The MA TESOL is suitable if you are a teacher of English to speakers of other languages (TESOL), or working in a related profession and are keen to build on your existing knowledge and experience, seeking to improve your career prospects or interested in researching your own teaching practices or context.
The MA TESOL will develop your critical understanding of recent developments in TESOL theory and practice. It also prepares you to conduct independent research into teaching and learning and provides a pathway to doctoral study. You will meet expert tutors in the field of English language teaching (ELT), a major branch of applied linguistics, who have international reputations in their own area of research, and who are committed to providing the best quality study experience. The course is co-taught with highly experienced colleagues in the Centre for English Language Education, one of the largest English language teaching operations in the world.
Advantages of studying the MA TESOL at the University of Nottingham:
- very flexible programme leading to internationally respected MA TESOL qualification taken over 12 months full-time or 24 months part-time;
- teaching informed by leading-edge research in the field;
- internationally reputable and approachable tutors who are practicing language teachers and researchers;
- solid foundation in core areas of TESOL theory and practice;
- elective modules which reflect the latest in applied linguistics and language teacher education;
- stylish, modern, hi-tech learning environment in an internationally reputable university;
- lively, multi-cultural social environment.
The programme will help you:
- gain an advanced critical understanding of key issues, theories and practices in the field of English language teaching;
- acquire a sound knowledge and understanding of language in context;
- explore the implications of language analysis for teaching purposes;
- develop understanding of current methodology as it is embodied in classroom practice;
- engage with theories underlying current views on language learning, including the importance of individual differences amongst learners in their abilities and learning preferences;
- appreciate and view critically the connections between theory and practice in the field of English language teaching;
- foster the ability to conduct academic research.
Graduates may pursue TESOL as a new career or enhance their current prospects in the field of English language teaching. In China, a postgraduate qualification in TESOL is increasingly sought- after by educational institutions. The programme will also equip those interested in pursuing an academic career in the field of English language teaching and applied linguistics by preparing them to conduct research at EdD and PhD level.
Our Careers Development Service will work with you to explore your options, invite you to attend recruitment events where you can meet potential employers, as well as suggesting further development opportunities, such as relevant work experience placements and skills workshops.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- International Admissions
- +865748818 0262