Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Degree Requirements: Applicants should normally hold an approved first degree with at least second class honours (or equivalent) or an approved professional qualification deemed to be equivalent to a second class honours degree.
Teaching Experience: Applicants to the MA TESOL are not formally required to have prior teaching experience, although such experience is naturally considered useful, and can help in providing students with a more immediate and practical context when reflecting on the course content. All applicants accepted onto the MA TESOL with less than nine months’ full-time experience of English Language Teaching will be required to complete a 20-credit Teaching Practicum module in the second semester (those who are able to provide evidence of previous teaching experience can claim exemption from this).
All applicants should therefore include a full CV as part of their application. Applicants should also provide a sample of their academic writing in English. A Skype, telephone or face-to-face interview is normally required as part of the acceptance decision making process.
This programme requires students to have a bachelors degree(or international equivalent) from a recognised institution at the same standard as UK university's 2:1 (upper second class honours degree or international equivalent).
Months of entry
The MA TESOL is suitable for all with a bachelor's degree and wish to pursue TESOL as a new career or enhance their current prospects in the field of English language teaching, or working in a related profession.
The MA TESOL will develop your critical understanding of recent developments in TESOL theory and practice. It also prepares you to conduct independent research into teaching and learning and provides a pathway to doctoral study. You will meet expert tutors in the field of English language teaching (ELT), a major branch of applied linguistics, who have international reputations in their own area of research, and who are committed to providing the best quality study experience.
The course is co-taught with highly experienced colleagues in the Centre for English Language Education, one of the largest English language teaching operations in the world.
Advantages of studying the MA TESOL at the University of Nottingham
- whole course taught in English, with the aim to widen your international horizons.
- teaching informed by leading-edge research in the field.
- internationally reputable and approachable tutors who are practicing language teachers and researchers
- solid foundation in core areas of TESOL theory and practice
- elective modules which reflect the latest in applied linguistics and language teacher education
- stylish, modern, hi-tech learning environment in an internationally reputable university
- lively, multi-cultural social environment
The programme will help you:
- Gain an advanced critical understanding of key issues, theories and practices in the field of English language teaching
- Acquire sound knowledge and understanding of language in context
- Explore the implications of language analysis for teaching purposes
- Develop understanding of current methodology as it is embodied in classroom practice
- Engage with theories underlying current views on language learning, including the importance of individual differences among learners in their abilities and learning preferences
- Appreciate and view critically the connections between theory and practice in the field of English language teaching
- Foster the ability to conduct academic research.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Admissions Office