- Admission to the programme shall be subject to the approval of the Dean of the Otago Medical School on the advice of the Academic Board of the Otago Medical School, which must be satisfied that the applicant has the ability and experience to proceed to the programme.
- Every applicant shall have been admitted to the degrees of Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery of a university in New Zealand or hold an equivalent medical qualification approved by the Academic Board of the Otago Medical School, and be a registered medical practitioner in his or her country of practice or residence.
If your first language is not English you need to meet our English language requirements as follows: IELTS score of 6.5 in the academic module (with no individual band below 6.0); we also accept a number of other English language tests. Due to COVID-19, we currently accept Duolingo English Test (DET), IELTS Indicator Test, and TOEFL iBT Special home Edition.
Don’t meet the English language requirements? The University of Otago Language Centre "English for Otago" programme offers a pathway for Undergraduate and Postgraduate students to meet the English language requirements for undergraduate and postgraduate study.
Months of entry
The Otago Master of Aeromedical Retrieval and Transport degree (MAeroRT) is part of an internationally accredited programme that enables part-time registered medical practitioners to develop competencies for professional aeromedical retrieval and transport practice at a registered or board certified specialist level in any country in the world.
The master's degree extends the existing Postgraduate Diploma in Aeromedical Retrieval and Transport (PGDipAeroRT), and students will normally have completed the Diploma prior to being accepted into the master's papers. The programme builds on the fundamental principles and clinical practice leading to management and research evaluation of aeromedical retrieval and transport, and safe clinical care in the air.
The Otago Aeromedical Retrieval and Transport programme attracts international students from around the world, in particular because it is closely aligned to advanced professional training intended to promote the specialty in a wide range of countries. This master's degree will allow specialty registered or board certified medical practitioners on graduation to provide consultant-level advice as a medical director of air ambulance services or as an ICU/Anaesthetics/ED/ Neonatal ICU consultant responsible for urgent care involving air transport.
- AVME 717 Medical Logistics in Aeromedical Transport
- AVME 718 Operational Aspects of Aeromedical Transport
- AVME 721 Clinical Care in the Air
- AVME 722 Organisation of Aeromedical Systems
- AVME 803 Specialist Aeromedical Retrieval
- AVME 804 International Assistance Operations
Structure of the Programme
The programme of study shall consist of six papers with a total value of 180 points.
Subject to the approval of the Dean of the Otago Medical School, papers which have been completed at the University of Otago, another university, or an approved examining body may be credited to the programme and/or used as the basis for exemption from the requirements of (a) above, provided that this previous study is directly relevant to the candidate's proposed and approved programme of study, to a maximum of 60 points.
A candidate who has completed the Postgraduate Diploma in Aero medical Retrieval and Transport may be exempted from one or more papers in the programme for the degree to a maximum of 120 points.
Information for international students
Otago offers students an unrivalled campus experience and a vibrant, social student culture. The majority of Otago’s 21,000 students live, work and play in Dunedin - New Zealand’s only true university city. Otago is home to over 3,000 students, from over 100 countries.
Fees and funding
New Zealand is a relatively affordable country to live in. Dunedin, being a student-focused city, has living and entertainment options for all budgets.
Students are eligible for the Otago International Excellence Scholarship.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time36 months
- Online learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details