Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Bachelor’s degree or an appropriate health professional qualification requiring at least three years of full-time tertiary study. If your first language is not English you need to meet our English language requirements as follows: IELTS score of 6.5 in the academic module (with no individual band below 6.0); we also accept a number of other English language tests. Due to COVID-19, we currently accept Duolingo English Test (DET), IELTS Indicator Test, and TOEFL iBT Special home Edition.
Don’t meet the English language requirements? The University of Otago Language Centre "English for Otago" programme offers a pathway for Undergraduate and Postgraduate students to meet the English language requirements for undergraduate and postgraduate study.
Months of entry
In general, this qualification is intended for health professionals who have completed three years of tertiary study and already have experience in the field. The Postgraduate Diploma in Health Sciences (PGDipHealSc) may be taken either as a generic qualification or, more usually, with an endorsement in a specific area of specialisation.
Otago has a long history and international reputation in providing degrees in Human Nutrition at graduate level.
A degree in Human Nutrition is the basis for careers in nutrition promotion and education, dietetics, teaching, food service, food manufacturing and retailing and nutrition research. A degree in Human Nutrition also provides an excellent opportunity for those seeking graduate entry into medicine and pharmacy.
Human Nutrition papers can be a useful and interesting addition to a degree in Food Science, Physical Education, Marketing, Physiology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Chemistry and many other disciplines.
NUTN 401 Principles of Human Nutrition
- NUTN 402 Nutrition and Health Promotion
- NUTN 404 Nutrition and Chronic Disease
- NUTN 407 Advanced Sports Nutrition
Further approved papers to the value of 30 points.
Structure of the Programme
- The programme of study shall consist of approved papers, to the value of 120 points, which must be as specified in the schedule of endorsed options if the diploma is to be endorsed in an area of specialisation.
- With prior approval, up to two 400-level papers in a relevant or related subject offered by another university or tertiary institution may be credited to the diploma.
- The papers shall constitute a coherent and integrated programme of study in the Health Sciences discipline.
Information for international students
Otago offers students an unrivalled campus experience and a vibrant, social student culture. The majority of Otago’s 21,000 students live, work and play in Dunedin - New Zealand’s only true university city. Otago is home to over 3,000 students, from over 100 countries.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Online learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details