Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
A good degree (2:1 or above, USA GPA 3.1 or above) preferably in a biological science. Other suitable degrees may be considered. If you have overseas qualifications you can check their comparability with the UK equivalent through the UK National Recognition Information Centre (NARIC), who provide an advisory service.
Months of entry
Marine biology is an extraordinarily broad and dynamic subject, reflecting the diversity and energy of marine ecosystems and the fantastic array of life they contain, making this a compelling subject to study. Marine processes exert massive influences on the Earth’s climate and the pattern of biogeochemical cycling. Closely linked with the diverse research pursuits of a range of scientists this programme allows you to apply and develop your particular skills in a marine context.
- Study in Plymouth, an internationally renowned city for marine biological research.
- Participate in a specifically designed, topical programme jointly hosted by Plymouth University and the Marine Biological Association (MBA) of the UK.
- Choose between two pathways to suit your research interests, biodiversity and ecology or cellular and molecular biology.
- Benefit from being taught by recognised experts with worldwide links to research organisations and projects.
- Draw on our expertise, working alongside research staff on a personal project.
- Undertake an extensive, original and innovative research project, often in collaboration with MBA Research Fellows, or one of our other partner institutions (Plymouth Marine Laboratory, Sir Alister Hardy Foundation for Ocean Science and the National Marine Aquarium), either in the UK or abroad.
- Excellent training for further research.
- See the benefit from close links with the research community worldwide.
Information for international students
The minimum IELTS score for acceptable English proficiency for entry is 6.5.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Admissions Office
- +44 (0)1752 585858