To apply for this programme, you'll need:
- a named consultant surgeon who will be your clinical supervisor
- a current and live registration with either the Nursing and Midwifery Council (Part 1 or 2) or the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- evidence of level 6 education or equivalent
- a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service check (previously CRB)
- a satisfactory occupational health clearance
A relevant degree with honours or an equivalent professional qualification. Other qualifications accompanied by substantial experience in an appropriate field may also be considered. Non-standard applications will be considered on a case by case basis.
You must be employed full-time in an appropriate role within a suitable hospital able to provide training with a UK setting, and you must have support of the clinical manager to undertake this programme of study whilst employed.
Months of entry
Are you passionate about cardiothoracics? Deliver care for surgical patients and develop the necessary skills to become a surgical care practitioner. Through this programme you’ll learn core competences for surgical care practitioners, with a focus on cardiothoracic surgery. You’ll gain the necessary skills to assist with complex surgical procedures and provide high quality patient care. Secure the experience you need to excel in unpredictable and highly pressurised clinical environments.
- Develop professional experience and specialist knowledge, through our blend of academic and practical teaching, delivered by a team involved in the education and practice development of the Surgical Care Practitioner role at national level for over 15 years.
- Benefit from eight weeks of taught theory and 28 weeks of direct clinical practice (per year).
- Expand your skills to undertake complex surgical procedures, manage patients intra-operatively and be responsible for pre-operative and post-operative outpatient clinics.
- Benefit from a combination of academic, theoretical and practical teaching, giving you the necessary clinical skills to meet national industry standards. We have strong links with existing practitioners, and visiting lecturers include current practising qualified Surgical Care Practitioners and Consultant Surgeons.
- Consider innovative approaches to care delivery and enhance the surgical patient experience.
- Cultivate a precise and meticulous work ethic, delivering an effective, safe and efficient service to patients.
- Work both autonomously and as part of a multi-profession team.
- Secure the experience you need to excel in unpredictable and highly pressurised clinical environments.
- Use your initiative to solve complex problems and deliver high quality patient care. Past students have enabled new service provision, such as satellite clinics for pre and/or postoperative assessment, and student initiated audits have generated new processes and cost savings for employing organisations.
- Royal College of Surgeons accredited programme.
Information for international students
Unfortunately we are unable to take international students on this programme as you must be in an employed position as a trainee surgical care practitioner.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admission Enquiries
- +44 (0)1752 586951