A first degree or its equivalent and/or appropriate professional experience showing the capability to work at Level 7. You need not be working in schools, though you should be able to draw on past experience of, or have access to, post-16 mathematics activity.
Months of entry
This programme is for practising mathematics teachers (or those with experience of teaching) at post-16 level. It can be taken over 1 or 2 years part time and will support your career development by providing expertise in teaching at this level and a theoretical base which will make you more able and confident to manage educational decision making.
- Taught in collaboration with MEI.
- Taught online using a virtual learning environment, then supporting you individually through tutorial work by phone or video conference, the programme becomes open to anyone.
- Practice-focused assignments which help you to theorise practice and practise your theorisation.
- Based on the professional experience of MEI staff and the academic expertise of Plymouth University’s Institute of Education.
- Starting with MEI’s CPD course (not part of the programme) to support your mathematics and pedagogy, the programme builds on Plymouth Institute of Education’s extensive expertise in supporting teaching and learning through study at level 7.
- Focused on your interests and needs, the programme provides a well-tailored, professionally useful, but also academically rigorous experience for mathematics educators.
- Comprises two modules (30 credits each), on completion there is an option to continue studying towards a full masters award (180 credits).
- Introduced at a time when new curriculum provision is changing the requirements on post-16 mathematics teachers, particularly in terms of teaching mechanics and statistics.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admission enquiries
- +44 1752 585858