A second-class honours degree (or equivalent, including professional qualifications), not necessarily in a business related subject, plus at least three years of postgraduate work experience at a professional or managerial level. Applicants with no formal qualifications but with appropriate management experience will be considered as non-graduate candidates. English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Months of entry
Why take this course?
The Executive MBA is a globally recognised business management degree. Designed for working professionals, this part-time Masters in Business Administration will develop your leadership and management skills to fulfil your career ambitions.
The Portsmouth MBA creates opportunities for you to develop your capabilities as a leader and manager, inspires confidence to improve your performance and can transform your future by developing the skills to progress your career.
Find out more about this course, see our facilities and meet with members of the MBA admissions team by attending one of our regular open evenings where you can meet teaching staff and current students.
What will I experience?
- Integrated management subjects – links theory and research to management practice
- Masterclasses - tailor your MBA learning experience and keep up-to-date with latest research and practice
- Group consultancy project - delivers real value for business clients (your own organisation or another)
- Individual strategy project – hones your analytical and research skills on a topic of your choice
- Business simulation project – challenges your assumptions and encourages new insights
- Executive coaching (optional) – supports your professional development and career progression
- UK weekend residential – a conference that supports your leadership development
- International study visit (one week) – an overseas experience with emphasis on global business
- Guest lectures and business visits – learn while expanding your network
What opportunities might it lead to?
The MBA programme is a transformational journey. Some MBA graduates accelerate their careers by progressing to more senior levels of leadership. Others use the MBA to prepare for their next career change, such as exploring the potential of entrepreneurship to set up their own business.
The Portsmouth MBA is a flexible part-time course ensuring minimal disruption to your work and home commitments. It is mainly taught in two-day blocks on alternate weeks, over two academic years. You will also attend Master Classes, a UK residential and an international residential that are typically delivered outside the two-day teaching block. Our MBA academics and professional staff, who understand the pressures of combining work and study, will fully support you throughout the programme.
The Executive MBA course structure includes eight taught units and two developmental units that focus on professional development:
- Accounting and Financial Management
- Marketing and Sales Management
- Strategic Management
- Managing in the Global Economic and Financial Environment
- Integrated Strategy Project
- Consultancy, Research Methods and Professional Development, including Executive Coaching, Master Classes and UK residential
- Strategic Project Management
- Strategic Leadership and Change
- Managing Operations and Systems
- Innovation and Enterprise
- Consultancy, Research Methods and Professional Development, including Executive Coaching, Master Classes and international residential
You will receive regular feedback on your development throughout the course. Our friendly, supportive learning environment makes use of lectures and seminars, business simulations, group discussions, team projects and case studies designed to help you analyse complex problems, evaluate opportunities and risks, propose solutions and plan their implementation, drawing on current management research and practice.
Academic performance is assessed through group work and presentations as well as work-related assignments, exams, reports and a research project. Assessment methods vary, but clearly laid out assessments, supported by instruction and guidance, will assist you in fulfilling programme requirements and utilising your learning for business impact.
MBA students refine their career plans throughout the programme with the support of course tutors, MBA career workshops, organisational visits, residential study tours, career services events, and the University’s Careers and Recruitment Service.
Some of the roles our graduates have taken include:
Technology Consultant / Business Consultant
Head of Transformation
Engineering Services Business Manager
Business District Improvement Manager
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions Team - MBA
- 023 9284 82004888