A second-class honours degree or equivalent in a relevant subject. Working professionals without an honours degree who have substantial relevant experience and the academic potential to achieve the award will also be considered. English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Months of entry
Why take this course?
This course is ideal for graduates wishing to build a professional career in Quality and Business Improvement, as well as experienced professionals who want to develop knowledge, understanding and business management skills in Quality and Business Improvement. It will lead to an advanced qualification that will support your practical industry knowledge and experience.
The programme is taught part time over two years (both campus-based and distance learning) and is also available as a Postgraduate Certificate or Masters. Find out more about this course, our facilities and generous scholarshipsby attending one of our regular open evenings where you can meet teaching staff and current students. Alternatively, join our next online SQM information session.
What will I experience?
- A broad range of current theory and best practices covering operational, functional and strategic quality management.
- Critical thinking and self-directed study are important aspects of working at postgraduate level and the programme includes practical ways to apply in both academic and business settings.
- Learn from staff with a research background and consultancy experience, including links with industry.
What opportunities might it lead to?
The course provides you with a deep understanding of quality and its role in the organisation. You will learn techniques to make a significant contribution to an organisation's strategic vision for success. It will also help you in the effective implementation of policies in order to achieve customer focus and continuous improvement.
Our graduates are in employment in:
- Quality management roles
- Operations management
- Training and development
- Auditing and business process improvement.
Portsmouth Business School is a member of the European Foundation for Quality Management (EFQM) and the British Quality Foundation (BQF). On completion of the course, you will be able to use your qualification as part of your portfolio of evidence to apply for individual membership of the Chartered Quality Institute (CQI).
Our course is very flexible. You can study part time in Portsmouth in a classroom environment or by distance learning, supported by thorough online resources.
The postgraduate diploma comprises four units:
- Business Transformation through Quality Management introduces you to the fundamental concepts of Total Quality Management and Organisational Behaviour, focusing on the application of these concepts in the organisation. It includes driving a culture of continuous improvement and managing change.
- Business Operations – the Quality Management Perspective will give you knowledge of business systems for quality planning, quality standards and the benefits accruing from integrated management systems and their application in the workplace to generate organisational efficiencies. It shows you how tools such as SERVQUAL, FMEA, QFD and Benchmarking can help evaluate how an organisation is performing against their strategic vision and goals.
- Strategic Organisational Excellence looks at the links between concepts of excellence (as used by EFQM and other excellence models) and their use in the strategic management of an organisation. It explores issues raised by variations in culture and sector, both within the organisation and in its relationships with its stakeholders. It will also introduce you to Corporate Social Responsibility and Quality in the Supply Chain.
- Quantitative and Research Methods evaluates concepts of quantitative methods and the application of specialist statistics to aid decision-making within organisations. It also covers the theory and application of research methodologies to support organisational improvement activities.
The course uses a range of teaching methods including formal lectures, tutorials, in-class exercises and work-based assignments. Classes are interactive with the use of case studies and invited speakers. The University’s virtual learning environment (VLE) further supports your studies by hosting a range of activities and resources. We encourage and develop critical thinking and self-directed study, with academic support from University Tutors.
Performance in all units is assessed by coursework. The assessment comprises a mixture of individual and group work assessments, case study analysis, reports, essays and presentations. Individual and generic feedback is provided for all assessments.
This course will improve performance at a professional and organisational level. In turn, it will boost your own career prospects by helping you to take the next step up the managerial ladder.
Our previous graduates have gone on to undertake a variety of roles in the Public and Private sectors including quality manager/director, quality engineer, quality adviser, quality analyst, quality consultant, quality environmental and health and safety manager, amongst others.
On successful completion of the course you are eligible to apply for Associate and Practitioner membership of the Chartered Quality Institute. You also may qualify for Chartered Quality Professional status through the qualification route, subject to satisfying the work experience criteria - at least five years' quality management or systems experience, two of which should be in a managerial or supervisory capacity (including the management of people, processes or systems).
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- 023 9284 2991