An honours degree in a relevant subject, or equivalent professional experience and/or qualifications in coaching or other related field. English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Months of entry
Why take this course?
If you wish to develop your skills, knowledge and understanding in the rapidly developing field of coaching without giving up employment, then this course is ideal.
This course consists of three separate stages, the Postgraduate Certificate, the Postgraduate Diploma and the Master’s, each taking a year to complete. You can enter the programme at any stage relevant to your qualifications and experience. Completion of each stage enables you to continue to the next, with or without a break between each stage, but there is no obligation to do so. These part-time, work-based courses allow you to fit in studying easily around work and other commitments.
This programme is aimed at leaders, managers and training professionals who want to develop their skills, knowledge and understanding in this rapidly developing field. Students may be seeking to use a coaching approach in a line management role, looking to build a coaching culture within their organisation to enhance performance or even embark on a second career as a professional freelance coach. This course is provided by the University of Portsmouth in conjunction with TPC Leadership, a well-respected company which provides coaching, training and consultancy services.
What will I experience?
On this course you can:
- Participate in live web-based chat forums to discuss your work with TPC trainers and other students
- Make an effective contribution to your workplace, as well as improve your career prospects
- Tap in to our Library’s vast selection of electronic resources, which can be accessed from anywhere with an internet connection
What opportunities might it lead to?
Previous students have gone on to set up their own coaching companies and coaching training organisations. Here are some other routes our graduates have pursued:
Here are some routes our graduates have pursued:
- business development
- consultancy work
- health sector
Teaching is delivered through five workshops over ten days covering a range of specific coaching topics, including 30 hours of coaching practise.
Here are the topics you will study:
Foundation coaching skills:
- Develop core coach competencies
- Understand the key skills and models for coaching and be able to apply these in a coaching relationship
- Define coaching and understand the range of coaching styles
- Understand the boundaries for a coaching relationship and how to contract effectively
- Explore the importance of supervision within coaching
- Learn to self-reflect and appraise coaching capabilities to identify areas for personal development in coaching, and plan for new learning
- Exploring your vision and identity as a coach; understanding your signature strengths and areas of focus
- Becoming more self aware and emotionally intelligent as a coach
- Learning to self-evaluate performance and ways of being as a coach
- Helping clients develop emotional intelligence and personal insight
- Exploring a number of different concepts and tools which generate personal insights in others and enable personal change
Applied positive psychology in coaching:
- Understand different tools, concepts and approaches from Positive Psychology and how these can be used to impact learning and performance
- Helping a system and clients to become more resilient and have more of a strengths-based focus
- Working with purpose and meaning
- Using transpersonal tools and techniques to create deep awareness and personal change
- Understand key leadership models and frameworks
- Explore models, tools and concepts for effective leadership development
- Experience practical tools and techniques which are congruent with developing leaders
- Enabling leaders to create a vision for their leadership, to think strategically, to problem-solve
- Coaching leaders in transition
- Assess participants' current level of coaching competence
We use the best and most current research and professional practice, alongside feedback from our students, to make sure course content is relevant to your future career or further studies.
Therefore, some course content may change over time to reflect changes in the discipline or industry and some optional units may not run every year. If a unit doesn’t run, we’ll let you know as soon as possible and help you choose an alternative unit.
The course takes a work-based learning approach which allows you to apply this knowledge and theory to your workplace. This approach means you produce current and applied work-based assignments for assessment.
This programme is assessed, quality assured and awarded by the University of Portsmouth whilst TPC's world-class trainers and facilitators deliver course content and work with you to develop your knowledge and understanding of coaching.
Assessment is also orientated around the workplace in the form of two 4,000-word work-based learning projects.
Progression: This programme offers a work-based Master's qualification using the integrated flexible Master's framework leading to the award of MSc.
This course is ideal if you are seeking to use a coaching approach in a line management role, looking to build a coaching culture within your organisation to enhance performance or even embark on a second career as a professional freelance coach. Previous graduates have also gone on to set up their own coaching companies and coach training organisations.
Whether you are an internal or external coach, this postgraduate programme will help you make an incredible difference to your clients.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Student Recruitment Centre - Portsmouth Business School
- 023 9284 2991