An honours degree in a relevant subject, or equivalent professional experience and/or qualifications in coaching or other related field. English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Months of entry
Why take this course?
If you wish to develop your skills, knowledge and understanding in the rapidly developing field of coaching without giving up employment, then this is the ideal course for you.
This course consists of three separate stages, the Postgraduate Certificate, the Postgraduate Diploma and the Master’s, each taking a year to complete. You can enter the programme at any stage relevant to your qualifications and experience. Completion of each stage enables you to continue to the next, with or without a break between each stage, but there is no obligation to do so. These part-time, work-based courses allow you to fit in studying easily around work and other commitments.
This programme is aimed at leaders, managers and training professionals who want to develop their skills, knowledge and understanding in this rapidly developing field. Students may be seeking to use a coaching approach in a line management role, looking to build a coaching culture within their organisation to enhance performance or even embark on a second career as a professional freelance coach. This course is provided by the University of Portsmouth in conjunction with TPC Leadership, a well-respected company which provides coaching, training and consultancy services.
What will I experience?
On this course you can:
- participate in live web-based chat forums to discuss your work with TPC trainers and other students
- make an effective contribution to your workplace, as well as improve your career prospects
- tap in to our Library’s vast selection of electronic resources, which can be accessed from anywhere with an internet connection
What opportunities might it lead to?
Previous students have gone on to set up their own coaching companies and coaching training organisations. Here are some other routes our graduates have pursued:
Here are some routes our graduates have pursued:
- business development
- consultancy work
- health sector
Teaching is delivered through five workshops over ten days covering a range of specific coaching topics, including 30 hours of coaching practise.
Here are the topics you will study:
- Creating a deep awareness of values, beliefs and identity with clients
- Introduce a range of tools and techniques for working with coachees at deeper levels to unlock barriers and help them reach their potential
- Creating internal transformation to enable outstanding high performance
- Enable coach to get into high performance state to serve coaches
Coaching within organisations:
- Understand the impact the organisation has on the coach, the coachee and the context
- Learn how a coach can create the most effective way to partner an organisation to create a way of working that delivers outstanding results
- Develop a systems view
- Explore further the importance of diversity within the workplace and the contribution made by coaching
- Helping the coach understand organisations better
Coaching teams and groups:
- Learn how a team coach can enhance the performance of teams and groups
- Appreciate the complexities in coaching teams and groups
- Explore approaches in team development and team performance and the relationship between them
- Develop core team coaching skills and approaches
- Learn techniques to influence group dynamics
- Assess participants' current level of coaching capability
- Reflect on development throughout the programme, identifying key strengths and future focus for practitioner development including supervision
- Be fully aware of their own process when coaching, and the complexity of intra-personal and interpersonal dynamics
- Use a variety of advanced methods and techniques to address business and performance issues
- Skillfully apply their knowledge and skills of the personal and transpersonal dimensions of human experience to coaching in an assessed coaching session
We use the best and most current research and professional practice, alongside feedback from our students, to make sure course content is relevant to your future career or further studies.
Therefore, some course content may change over time to reflect changes in the discipline or industry and some optional units may not run every year. If a unit doesn’t run, we’ll let you know as soon as possible and help you choose an alternative unit.
The course takes a work-based learning approach which allows you to apply this knowledge and theory to your workplace. This approach means you produce current and applied work-based assignments for assessment.
This programme is assessed, quality assured and awarded by the University of Portsmouth whilst TPC's world-class trainers and facilitators deliver course content and work with you to develop your knowledge and understanding of coaching
Assessment is orientated around the workplace in the form of two 4,000-word work-based learning projects.
Progression: This programme offers a work-based Master's qualification using the integrated flexible Master's framework leading to the award of MSc.
This course is ideal if you are seeking to use a coaching approach in a line management role, looking to build a coaching culture within your organisation to enhance performance or even embark on a second career as a professional freelance coach. Previous graduates have also gone on to set up their own coaching companies and coach training organisations.
Whether you are an internal or external coach, this postgraduate programme will help you make an incredible difference to your clients.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Student Recruitment Centre - Portsmouth Business School
- 023 9284 2991