An honours degree or equivalent in any academic subject and an appreciation of the HRD/training management function. Applicants with appropriate work experience and a Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) Level 3 or 5 qualification will be considered. Professional experience and/or equivalent qualification may be considered. Applicants are subject to interview. English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Months of entry
Why take this course?
This work-based learning programme is aimed at helping experienced and aspiring human resource development (HRD) specialists, training managers and consultants to enhance and consolidate their skills and knowledge.
It will provide you with the tools to become an effective HRD or training management professional in any size or type of organisation. Managers of other disciplines who need to understand how to manage HRD within the wider human resources and business context will also benefit from this course. Knowledge and understanding is developed in relation to strategic, tactical and operational HRD.
What will I experience?
On this course you can:
- Gain a professionally-recognised Level 7 CIPD qualification
- Study at your own pace for up to four years
- Gear your learning around your job so you and your employer benefit
- Progress on to MSc Human Resource Development top-up for a full masters qualification
What opportuntiies might it lead to?
We are an Approved Centre for the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD). On completion, you will be eligible to seek Associate Membership of the CIPD and you may meet the criteria for Chartered Membership (depending on your previous experience). The CIPD is the world's largest internally-recognised Chartered HR and development professional body.
Graduates from this programme are like to be in high demand by organisations looking for:
- HRD specialists
- HR managers
- Training managers
- Training consultants
The PgDip programme comprises four work-based learning units:
- Training, Learning and Talent Development will help you develop a critical understanding of the creation of learning and talent development policies and strategies in order to achieve objectives at all levels. It will explore the implications of professional practice and provide opportunities for applied learning and critical reflection for continuous professional development.
- Consultancy, Coaching and Mentoring encourages learners to examine the theory and practice of these disciplines and explore the implications for professional practice in the workplace and beyond.
- Leadership and Management Skills will enable you to develop an understanding of the complexities of leading and managing organisations in order to facilitate change and growth.
- The Training Manager and the Business Context gives insight into the environmental contexts facing leaders within contemporary organisations. You will learn how managers and HR professionals are shaped by the internal and external forces beyond their immediate control and how they may respond to the opportunities choices and constraints when faced with difficult decisions that will shape their future.
You will be allocated an academic tutor whose role will be to support and guide you in your studies and with planning and conducting your work-based learning assignments. You will have access to the University’s comprehensive online resources – just as though you were on campus. Our online resources include several hundred e-books (electronic versions of key textbooks) and access to databases containing academic and business journals. There are also study skills resources, for example academic writing and referencing available online, as well as information on the course virtual learning environment (Moodle) to help guide you in your studies.
Learning will primarily be self-directed but will be guided, facilitated and supported by the experienced university tutors through face to face contact, telephone, email and Moodle communications in order that students can analyse, interpret and apply current academic and wider business and practitioner materials in workplace situations.
It is recommended that you are also supported by a work-based mentor who will provide additional support and guidance.
Assessment is through a combination of three work-based assignments including a professional development portfolio, a business research report and two examinations.
Student-centred learning activities relating to both human resource and managerial related activities form the basis for the units, enabling you to enhance your people management and HR specific skills. Reflections upon personal competence and competence development further equip you with the ability to make an active contribution to business performance.
Roles our graduates have taken on include:
- Benefits analyst
- Human resource officer
- Human resource systems manager
- Personnel adviser
- Recruitment consultant
- Training and development coordinator
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- 023 9284 2991