An undergraduate degree or conversion course in Psychology or Forensic Psychology which confers Graduate Basis for Chartered status (GBC), and a BPS accredited masters degree which confers Stage I of the BPS Qualification in Forensic Psychology. Should an applicant not have completed these prior degrees, it is possible that they could complete these pre-requisites within the department before progressing onto the Professional Doctorate. Applicants must provide proof of GBC and a research proposal at the time of applying. Applicants would be expected to have at least 1 year experience in a forensic psychology setting. Applicants are subject to interview. All offers are subject to Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) clearance.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 7.0 with no component score below 6.5.
Months of entry
This programme uses guided knowledge, applied experience, specialist input and evidence based practice, and you'll be well supported in a positive and collegiate atmosphere. There's also a range of placement opportunities.
This course is HCPC and BPS approved which means you will be able to achieve Chartered status with the British Psychological Society (BPS) and Registered status with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) as a Practising Forensic Psychologist.
WHAT WILL I EXPERIENCE?
On this course you can:
- Engage in specialist fields of forensic mental health and disorder
- Learn how to use a minimum of two risk assessment tools
- Be supported through placements by experienced and expert staff
- Learn how to deliver expert evidence and training
WHAT OPPORTUNITIES MIGHT IT LEAD TO?
The course will give you the knowledge and skills to become a practising forensic psychologist. The title, ‘forensic psychologist’ is a legally protected title and this course will enable you to use it and apply your skills with confidence.
Here are some routes our graduates could pursue:
- Chartered and Registered Forensic Psychologists in a range of settings: prison, community, NHS (secure units), developing their own private practice initiatives
- Training Design and Training Delivery
- Project Management
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- 023 9284 2994