An upper second class honours degree or equivalent in a Sport and Exercise Science, Psychology, Sports Psychology or related subject. Alternative qualifications will be considered on a case by case basis.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Months of entry
The mind plays a huge role in sports and exercise performance, by helping – or preventing – people from achieving their physical and technical potential. If you're a sports or psychology graduate or current practitioner who wants to advance your sports science career, our MSc Sport and Exercise Psychology degree course is for you.
On this course, you'll learn about the effect of the mind on human behaviour and performance, in and out of competition. You'll develop knowledge and skills that are critical to practitioners, and study the key themes including the psychology of elite performance, applied sport psychology and the psychology of exercise and physical activity.
We'll provide the expertise and support so you can develop your professional practice. When you graduate, you'll be prepared for a career in sports psychology with professional sports clubs, national sports organisations and private clinics.
What you'll experience
- Learn from our team of BPS Chartered Psychologists and BASES Accredited Sport and Exercise Scientists, who are experienced in research and applied practice in sport and exercise psychology
- Use our psychology laboratory with specialist equipment including an ASL mobile eye-tracking system and PLATO Liquid Crystal Spectacles, to test how quickly performers respond to visual or auditory cues
- Benefit from our links with UK Sport and the Fuchs Foundation
- Learn to communicate with clients in a professional and approachable style
- Have 24/7 access to our library's electronic resources, including thousands of ejournals, books and newspapers
- Get to use our biomechanics, physiology, psychology and kinanthropometry labs, which feature professional facilities, such as an immersion pool, visual 3D software and climatic chambers
Work experience and career planning
We'll help you to identify opportunities that will complement your studies.
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the sport and exercise industries.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Careers and opportunities
When you graduate, you'll be qualified for a career as an applied practitioner, researcher or lecturer in sport and exercise psychology.
You'll also have the transferable skills for a career in other sectors, like business, the police or the armed forces.
Our previous graduates have gone on to work in organisations including:
- UK Sport
- Sport governing bodies
- Health and fitness companies
- Private healthcare companies
Career opportunities include:
- Sports and exercise scientist
- Lecturer in sport and/or exercise psychology
- Researcher in sport and/or exercise psychology
We'll provide you with as much support as possible in finding employment through close industrial contacts, careers events, recruitment fairs and individual advice.
This course is accredited by the British Psychological Society, which means you'll be eligible to apply for the Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC).
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- 023 9284 5566