A 2:2 honours degree in a Sport, Business or Management subject. Applicants who hold a non-related degree will be considered on a case-by-case basis. For those who do not hold a degree or relevant professional qualification, extensive experience together with evidence of scholarly ability will be required. English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Months of entry
Why take this course?
The sports industry is an exciting, dynamic environment that requires people with ambition, expertise and management skills; people with the desire and ability to lead, plan and deliver.
The integration of theory and practice within this course will enable you to improve your knowledge specific to the sector while developing appropriate skills in a sport management context.
What will I experience?
On this course you can:
- Gain a thorough grounding in how to manage people alongside the skills to be a confident leader
- Develop an interdisciplinary applied to gaining expert management knowledge that can be applied to a wide range of industry sectors.
- Conduct research investigating issues within the Sports Management sector
What opportunities might it lead to?
With an estimated worth in excess of £110 billion, the global sports industry is growing rapidly. You can expect to find a career in many specific areas such as teaching, sports development, and the health and fitness sectors.
Here are some routes our graduates have pursued:
- National governing bodies
- Sports agencies
- Local authority
- UK sport
- Primary care trust
- County sports partnership
You can choose to take this course in either full-time or part-time mode, with a mixture of core and compulsory units providing good flexibility for part-time students. In the event that you are unable to complete the180 credits for the award of MSc, there are two additional exit awards:
- Postgraduate Certificate (PG Cert) which is obtained if you have successfully completed 60 credits.
- Postgraduate Diploma (PG Dip) which is obtained if you have successfully completed 120 credits.
You will study several key topics; however these are subject to innovation and may therefore change slightly over the years.
Here are the units you will study:
- The Sports Business Industry: This unit enables you to evaluate the key source of uncertainty facing sports organisations and provides you with the knowledge and capacity to understand the strategic management process, the role of senior management and policy developers working with various sporting organisations.
- Strategic Events Management: This unit introduces you to the principles underpinning event management and the strategic planning of events and the methods in which these principles are used in practice
- Applied Research Methods: This unit Comprehensively prepares you for research in your chosen field. You will cover a range of research designs and approaches and will prepare you to undertake your MSc Research Project.
Optional Units include:
- Sports Management in Practice: This unit offers the opportunity to both observe, and where appropriate contribute, within day-to-day delivery within an organisation associated with the sports management sector
- Operational Management in Sport: This unit teaches techniques from the field of operations management that are relevant to the wider field of sports management. It aims to equip students with both knowledge and understanding of the aspects of operations management relating to the design, planning, control and improvement of operations in the sports industry.
Teaching and learning takes place through a variety of formats including formal lectures, seminars, workshops, tutorials and industry-based experiences.
The varying teaching formats are reflected in the assignments. Here’s how we assess you:
- Industry reports
- Reflective accounts
- Professional presentations
- Projects and portfolios
Graduating from this course provides professional preparation for management or leadership positions in a variety of sport, recreation and health promotion areas.
Roles our graduates have taken on include:
- Sports development manager
- Health and fitness manager
- Partnership development manager
- Programme manager
- Lecturer in sport
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- 023 9284 5566