Individual employers will set the selection criteria for their apprentices, liaising with the Faculty of Business and Law. Most applicants will be expected to hold an honours degree in a relevant subject or equivalent, or equivalent professional experience and/or qualifications.
All applicants to the Degree Apprenticeship courses must have an acceptable Level 2 qualification in English and Mathematics. Acceptable qualifications include GCSE with grade C/4 or above and Functional Skills with Pass - please note that we are not able to accept all kinds of Level 2 qualifications, so if you an unsure whether you have a suitable qualification please get in touch. If you do not have an acceptable qualification you may be required to take an additional assessment during the application process.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Months of entry
If you're looking to further your learning and get a postgraduate degree while continuing to work in your current job, this MSc Risk and Safety Leadership degree apprenticeship is a great option.
Risk management expertise is in greater demand than ever, and not just for managers in the risk and safety management sector – today, risk management is a mainstream discipline that's highly sought across the public, private, academic and governmental sectors.
On this 3-year degree apprenticeship, which we've developed in partnership with employers and professional organisations, you'll spend 18 days a year studying for your degree and the rest of your time at work. The Government or your employer pay your tuition fees – so it doesn’t cost you anything.
You'll enhance your risk management skills through analysing complex problems, exploring the uncertainties involved, evaluating possible solutions and planning risk management implementation. You'll get to put the skills you learn to work instantly in your job, contributing to the success of your company.
When you finish this course you'll have a postgraduate qualification in Risk and Safety Leadership, with 3 more years of on-the-job experience.
- Gain a broad understanding of risk management, including current tools and techniques
- Get an understanding of safety management
- Learn from staff with industry experience and guest speakers
- Develop the ability to contribute to managing risk and business effectiveness
- Use our business simulation suite, giving you the opportunity to manage crisis scenarios in real time in a safe environment
- Have access to the University's student support services and community including the Library, study support, sports and recreation facilities, and the Students’ Union
- Build a network of professional peers during your time at university, sharing your ideas and knowledge
- Get practical work experience in your job, giving you an advantage over students who do a traditional degree
- Get a personal tutor from the University and a workplace mentor
You'll typically go to university in 3-day blocks (Tuesday to Thursday) 6 times a year, to attend lectures and workshops. On the weeks you don't go to university, you'll still spend 20% of your time studying or training away from your normal working environment.
You'll be able to progress your career further using the knowledge and skill that you gain on this course, including going on to work in many risk and management related roles, such as:
- independent risk consultants
- risk officers
- healthcare risk managers
- crisis team managers for petrochemical companies
- risk managers within the military
- chief finance officers
- senior managers
- senior project managers
- security managers
- risk and safety management consultants
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- 02392 848599