Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Qualifications or experience
- A degree or equivalent. Other qualifications such as HNDs and Foundation degrees, supported by several years of relevant post-qualification experience in responsible posts, may also be acceptable. Applicants are usually working at a professional level.
- Applicants to the MSc Occupational Health and Safety Management and the MSc Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Management should have appropriate experience and proven aptitude in health and safety, a certificated professional/vocational qualification or an undergraduate degree or equivalent. If you do not hold a level 6 qualification you may be required to present evidence of your ability to study at level 6.
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.0 with no component score below 5.5.
Months of entry
On this MSc Applied Computing Learning at Work Master's course, you'll develop the ability to reflect on your own decisions within the workplace and become an independent learner, able to make sound professional judgments when faced with complex IT-based problems. While you progress your existing analytical or programming skills, you'll be learning how to manage teams and projects effectively too.
Because the course is work-based, you need to already be in a full-time, part-time or voluntary role. If you don't have an undergraduate degree, you could still do this postgraduate course if you have several years experience in a responsible position (such as a military role) or you have high-level skills through experience that isn't reflected in your qualifications.
You can tailor the course to match your professional and personal aspirations and your employer's objectives. The way you learn is flexible, so you can study wherever is most convenient for you and schedule your studies around your existing commitments.
You'll get to put the skills you learn to work instantly in your job, contributing to the success of your company. When you complete the course, you'll improve your career prospects and have the skills and knowledge to perform more effectively in your job.
And whether you're looking for a career in IT Management, Consultancy, Web Security or System Design, this course will allow you to study for a university degree without leaving your job – and give you the skills needed by a today’s employers, both in the UK and overseas.What you'll experience On this course, you'll:
- Choose modules and study topics that match your personal and professional goals, as well as your employer's objectives
- Develop your ability to analyse problems, research and propose solutions, and make sound professional judgements when faced with the organisational, financial and management aspects of a business
- Take part in work-based learning (WBL) projects that form part of your daily workload, which ensure that the knowledge you develop is relevant to your employer's business
- Get an optional 1-day induction in Portsmouth at the start of the course and have the opportunity to study on campus, if it suits you
- Develop your learning plan with the University and your employer, so you can make an effective contribution to your workplace as you learn
- Have full access to our student support services and community including study support, sports and recreation facilities, and the Students' Union
- Tap in to our Library's electronic resources, which you can access from anywhere with a Web connection
- Choose a Workplace Partner to support your learning – someone at work who can offer advice, guidance, and moral support
- Have support from an academic tutor specialising in your area of study and a University learning manager who oversees your programme
- Use online tutorials and lectures to help you with study skills, including your analytical and writing skills
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- flexible36 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
- Distance learningis available for this qualification
- Online learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- The learning at work team
- +44 (0)23 9284 6260