Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
A 2:1 degree in a relevant subject, or equivalent professional experience and/or qualifications. An interview/portfolio may be required as part of the selection process.
Months of entry
Effective marketing is essential for all successful fashion organisations. To have a powerful impact as a marketing specialist in this rapidly evolving industry, you need an array of technical and professional skills – and the talent to apply these in an ethical and sustainable way.
If you want to shape the future of fashion and have the determination and vision to use your marketing and business skills in a challenging but rewarding career, this Fashion Marketing Master's degree is your ideal next step.
You'll get a grounding in essential marketing tools, techniques and theories including social media marketing and analytics. You'll also focus on the specific mechanics and workings of the fashion industry by studying topics such as fashion branding and fashion entrepreneurship.
You'll have opportunities to go on an international study trip and get valuable experience working on live marketing campaigns with local, national or international organisations. You could also do an optional 6-month work placement at the end of the course.
When you graduate, you'll be ready to work in many areas of the fashion and marketing industries, in organisations of all sizes.
On this Fashion Marketing Master's you'll:
- Learn how to address the contemporary challenges of fashion marketing, in a sustainable and ethical way
- Get insights into making impactful marketing decisions
- Study core marketing theories and techniques alongside specialist industry-specific modules
- Be taught by a teaching team with close links to local business and creative communities, and extensive contacts within large national and international fashion companies and corporations (including Arcadia Group, Burberry, Google, Tommy Hilfiger, Conde Nast and Twitter)
- Get experience with the software and tools you'll use in your career, such as Adobe Design Suite, Google Analytics and Google Ads
- Apply what you learn in the industry, by working with a fashion brand on a live brief – you'll deal directly with clients, working within professional constraints to deadlines
You can also:
- Get additional professional qualifications, in areas such as Google Analytics and Google Ads, as part of your study
- Further immerse yourself in the world of fashion marketing as you study with field trips and guest lectures
- Present your research to a student-led conference, as part of a research-based unit, which can help prepare you for potential PhD study
- Apply to do a 6-month industrial placement at the end of the course, with support from course tutors and the University's careers and employability services
Transferable skills you'll develop, which you can use in all areas of your life and career, include critical thinking, research, self-motivation and time management, team working, independence, verbal and written communication, analytical thinking and ethical integrity.
Marketing is an essential part of all fashion organisations, and job opportunities exist across all areas of the industry.
The skills and knowledge you get on this course will also make you a good fit for general marketing roles in public sector and not-for-profit organisations, such as charities, local government and higher education institutions.
Roles you could do
You'll graduate with the skills and understanding to take up roles in many fields, including:
- Global fashion market researcher
- Fashion marketing campaign officer
- Fashion marketing executive
- Public relations account executive
- Fashion marketing consultant
- Fashion entrepreneur
- Social media manager
You could also continue your studies to PhD level.
Whatever comes next after your studies, our Careers and Employability service will give you support and advice for up to 5 years after you graduate.
6-month optional placement
You'll have the option to undertake a 6-months industrial placement at the end of the course.
Although you'll need to identify and secure your placement, you'll get structured support at every stage from course tutors and the University's careers and employment services, including the faculty's Creative Careers service.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time18 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- University of Portsmouth Admissions Centre