A 2:1 or first class honours degree in a relevant subject. Please check the course details online for information about subject specialisms that can be supported. You will be asked to write a short research proposal upon receipt of your application. Applicants may be subject to interview.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Months of entry
Broaden your research experience, work with an experienced team and develop transferable skills for a research-related career, on our MRes Science degree – a flexible postgraduate taught course, during which you'll complete a large research project.
You'll get the tools and techniques to become an effective researcher, including preparing your findings for peer-reviewed publication, critical review, grant application, conference presentation and intellectual property submission. You'll join an active research community, focus your research in areas of science that match your interests and ambition, and complete an original project or study.
When you graduate, you'll be able to consider PhD study, and have the transferable skills to enter a career in a science-related profession.
You can start this course in September or January (full time only in January).
This course contains taught elements of the Researcher Development Framework (RDF, vitae.ac.uk).
- Study research preparation, where you'll learn skills such as personal effectiveness, research management, professional skills, networking, research organisation, science communication and impact
- Complete an extended scientific research project on a subject of your choice
- Be supported by enthusiastic and qualified staff, who will help you develop your research skills
- Use our specialist laboratories, featuring scientific equipment used by professionals
- Graduate with the skills and abilities needed for a career as a professional researcher
You'll graduate from the MRes Science degree course ready for doctoral study, with strong research skills and transferable skills which are valuable in research-related careers.
Career opportunities include:
- PhD study
- Research assistant
- Graduate teaching
- General research
We'll provide you with as much support as possible in finding employment, through close industrial contact, careers events, recruitment fairs and individual advice.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Further details of qualification
! year full time (start September or January), 2 years part time (start September)
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- 023 9284 5566