Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
- An honours degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics subject.
- All applicants to the Degree Apprenticeship courses must have an acceptable Level 2 qualification in English and Mathematics. Acceptable qualifications include GCSE with grade C/4 or above and Functional Skills with Pass - please note that we are not able to accept all kinds of Level 2 qualifications, so if you an unsure whether you have a suitable qualification please get in touch. If you do not have an acceptable qualification you may be required to take an additional assessment during the application process.
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.0 with no component score below 5.5.
Months of entry
Do you want to study for a career-boosting Postgraduate qualification while you earn a salary?
On this postgraduate engineer degree apprenticeship course, which lasts just over 2 years, you'll learn core skills in areas such as project management, team management and analytics. After completing your diploma you work towards achieving Chartered Engineering status (CEng).
You’ll cover topics such as sustainable engineering and safe working practices, and work on projects that contribute to your success at work. You'll tailor what you learn to suit your professional goals and the type of role that you have, as well as your employer's objectives.
The course is work-based, and combines a mixture of lectures and online learning. You'll spend 20% of your work time on your apprenticeship via lectures, distance learning, writing assignments and other related study. The government or your employer will pay your tuition fees – so it won't cost you anything.
After the course, you'll have the skills, knowledge and experience to take responsibility for complex engineering projects and move into more senior roles. You could also top your diploma up to a Master's degree through our Learning at Work department.
What you'll experience
On this course, you'll:
- Achieve a postgraduate diploma (PgDip) while earning a salary
- Gain eligibility to register as a Chartered Engineer
- Enjoy flexible study and a 'blended' approach to learn that minimises time away from the workplace.
- Have the opportunity to specialise in your chosen engineering discipline, for example, research and development, engineering management or product support.
- Become a more capable, confident engineer with the ability to: effectively manage the different phases of engineering projects; reflect on your own actions and decisions; become an independent lifelong learner
- Gain the skills, knowledge and behaviours required for career advancement
- Develop business and analytical skills alongside practical engineering knowledge
- Learn from staff who have professional experience in various engineering disciplines and links with employers and professional engineering institutions
- Get a learning manager from the University and a workplace mentor
- Tap in to our Library’s electronic resources, which you can access from anywhere with a Web connection
- Have access to the University's student support services and community including study support and the Students’ Union
- Work at your own pace, in your own time, in any location, with interactive online learning materials
- Take part in live Web-based chat forums to discuss your work with lecturers and other students
Careers and opportunities
What can you do with an Engineering Competence qualification?
There's currently a shortage of talented engineers in the UK, so there will be many job opportunities open to you when you graduate, in your current organisation and beyond.
You can use the course to progress to senior or managerial engineering roles and top up to a Master's degree. You will also work towards Chartered Engineer Status.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time30 months
- Distance learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- 023 9284 8599