An honours degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics subject.
All applicants to the Degree Apprenticeship courses must have an acceptable Level 2 qualification in English and Mathematics. Acceptable qualifications include GCSE with grade C/4 or above and Functional Skills with Pass - please note that we are not able to accept all kinds of Level 2 qualifications, so if you an unsure whether you have a suitable qualification please get in touch. If you do not have an acceptable qualification you may be required to take an additional assessment during the application process.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.0 with no component score below 5.5.
Months of entry
January, April, September
Do you want to study for a career-boosting diploma while you earn a salary?
On this PgDip Engineering Competence degree apprenticeship course, which lasts just over 2 years, you'll learn core skills in areas such as project management, team management and analytics.
You’ll cover topics such as sustainability and health and safety, and work on projects that contribute to your success at work. You'll tailor what you learn to suit your professional goals and the type of role that you have, as well as your employer's objectives.
The course is work-based, and combines a mixture of lectures and online learning. You'll spend 20% of your work time on your apprenticeship via lectures, distance learning, writing assignments and other related study. The government or your employer will pay your tuition fees – so it won't cost you anything.
After the course, you'll have the skills, knowledge and experience to take responsibility for complex engineering projects and move into more senior roles. You could also top your diploma up to a Master's degree and work towards achieving Chartered Engineering status, or complete a Master's degree through our Learning at Work department.
What you'll experience
- Get a postgraduate diploma (PgDip) while earning a salary
- Improve your career prospects while making an effective contribution in the workplace
- Tailor your learning to suit your job role, professional goals and employers objectives
- Apply what your learn instantly in your job, giving you an advantage over students who do a full-time diploma
- Develop business and analytical skills alongside practical engineering knowledge
- Learn from staff who have professional experience in various engineering disciplines and links with employers and professional engineering institutions
- Get a learning manager from the University and a workplace mentor
- Tap in to our Library’s electronic resources, which you can access from anywhere with a Web connection
- Have access to the University's student support services and community including study support and the Students’ Union
- Work at your own pace, in your own time, in any location, with interactive online learning materials
- Take part in live Web-based chat forums to discuss your work with lecturers and other students
Careers and opportunities
There's currently a shortage of talented engineers in the UK and abroad, so there will be many job opportunities open to you when you graduate, in your current organisation and beyond.
You can use the course to progress to senior or managerial engineering roles and top up to a Master's degree. You can also work towards Chartered Engineer Status.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time30 months
- Distance learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- 02392 848599