A second-class honours degree (or equivalent, including professional qualifications), not necessarily in a business related subject, plus at least 3 years of work experience at a professional or managerial level. Alternatively, applicants without formal qualifications, but with a minimum of 5 years of management experience, are welcome to apply. Applicants may be subject to interview and/or be asked to submit a portfolio in support of their application.All applicants to the Degree Apprenticeship courses must have an acceptable Level 2 qualification in English and Mathematics. Acceptable qualifications include GCSE with grade C/4 or above and Functional Skills with Pass - please note that we are not able to accept all kinds of Level 2 qualifications, so if you an unsure whether you have a suitable qualification please get in touch. If you do not have an acceptable qualification you may be required to take an additional assessment during the application process.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Months of entry
Are you a senior manager who wants to develop your knowledge and skills to MBA level or are you looking to progress into a senior management role in the future?
This part-time senior leader Master's degree apprenticeship for people with professional experience prepares you for senior leadership and management roles in private, public and third-sector organisations. It doesn't cost you anything because the Government and your employer pay your fees.
You'll study on day release from your job. You'll develop your leadership, management and entrepreneurial capabilities and build expertise in key business areas such as corporate communications, financial management, business strategy and change management. You’ll study with peers from other industries and immediately apply what you learn in your job.
After you complete the course, you can apply to the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) to become a Chartered Member (CMg MCMI) or a Chartered Fellow (CMgr FCMI), depending on your experience. You’ll accelerate your career progression and have the skills, knowledge and confidence to go into senior management and leadership positions in roles such as chief executive, general manager or finance director. You'll also have the skills and knowledge to launch your own business in the future.
Part-time MBA option
You can also do this Strategic Leadership MBA as a standard part-time MBA. This option isn't funded by the Government's apprenticeship levy, but it is eligible for some postgraduate funding such as a postgraduate student loan.
Why this course matters for Employers?
The MBA Strategic Leadership course is a part-time (day release) course aimed at developing senior leadership capability to enable senior leaders and managers to define a clear sense of purpose and strategic intent for their organisations and business units.
Course participants will develop their individual strategic leadership and managerial capability and will support the talent development of the teams and the organisations they work with. As they strengthen their own capabilities to become even more effective in their current roles, they will also prepare to take on more challenging senior positions in the future.
What will I experience?
On this MBA degree apprenticeship course, you'll:
- Link theory and research to management practice by applying what you learn to your current role and workplace
- Learn from staff with research and consultancy experience, and links with industry
- Work on an applied project to deliver practical value for your own organisation (or another) by analysing a challenge or opportunity, and providing useful recommendations
- Hone your analytical and research skills, and bring together your knowledge and learning by doing an integrated strategy project
- Use your Applied Learning Portfolio to demonstrate how you're applying new knowledge and behaviours in a work-based context
- Participate in a Leadership in Action forum to assess your strenghts and opportunities as a leader
- Learn from industry experts while expanding your network with guest lectures and business events sponsored by the Faculty of Business and Law
- Explore opportunities and hear from talent management experts at our Enterprise and Employability Week events, professional netwworking events and job fairs
- Tap into our library's vast selection of electronic resources, which are available 24/7 and include access to thousands of e-journals
- Get access to Chartered Management Institute (CMI) materials throughout the course, including useful articles and scenarios
Careers and Opportunities
When you graduate, you'll have the skills, knowledge and confidence you need to fulfil your career ambitions, in your current company and beyond.Recruiters for roles that need specialist knowledge or research skills, including senior leadership roles and business consultancy, particularly target those with higher level qualifications such as the MBA.
Previous MBA graduates have progressed to roles including:
- Chief Executive
- Global Director
- General Manager
- Programme Manager
- Business Consultant
- Finance Director
Other graduates have used their entrepreneurial skills to start up businesses.
You can apply through the ‘qualified route' to become a Chartered Member (CMg MCMI) or a Chartered Fellow (CMgr FCMI), depending on your experience, when you complete the course.
You can review and refine your career plans throughout the programme with support from course tutors, and Careers and Employability staff. The course also includes a leadership development workshop.
After you leave the University, you can continue to get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability team as you advance in your career.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Degree Apprenticeship Team
- 02392 848599