A minimum of a second-class honours degree in Interior Design, Architecture or a related subject, or equivalent professional experience and/or qualifications. An online portfolio submission will be required as part of the selection process.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Months of entry
The need for sustainable urban living has never been greater. Today, our cities are responsible for almost 80% of all CO2 emissions – and with estimates suggesting up to 70% of the world will live in a city by 2050, that figure could rise even higher.
If you want to plan and design the sustainable urban communities of the future and help reduce the demands and impacts we make on the natural world, our MA Sustainable Cities degree course is the perfect way to fulfil your ambitions.
Building on our Cluster for Sustainable Cities, you'll learn from leading experts and explore new systemic and integrated solutions for cities, and help shape the journey towards greener, healthier, more inclusive and resilient environments.
And when you graduate, you'll be ready for a career in urban design within architectural firms and environmental organisations, or to enter further academic study.
What you'll experience
- Engage with leading research into sustainable cities
- Use facilities including dynamic studios with advanced architectural computing facilities
- Develop collaborative projects with external partners, such as practitioners and academic institutions in the UK and overseas
- Work on live projects, with real clients
- Take an optional field trip to learn more about global urban sustainability
- Get to meet leading figures in the field of Environmental Design
- Combine theory, practice, research and work-based learning to understand contemporary issues in sustainable development
Work experience and career planning
We'll help you to identify internships, voluntary roles and opportunities that will complement your studies.
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in urban design and the planning of sustainable cities.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Careers and opportunities
When you graduate from this course, you can choose a career in organisations including design practices, architectural firms and cross-disciplinary environments.
Here are some routes our graduates have pursued:
- Urban planning and urban design
- NGOs and environmental organisations
- Local authorities
- Further academic study
You'll also learn creative skills and professional competencies which are valuable in fields like virtual design and modelling or project management.
We'll provide you with as much support as possible in finding employment through close industrial contacts, careers events, recruitment fairs and individual advice.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- 023 9284 5566