A good honours degree in a related subject, or equivalent professional experience and/or qualifications. An interview or online portfolio submission will be required as part of the selection process.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Months of entry
If you've got a passion for photography and an undergraduate qualification in the subject, this MA Photography course is your perfect way to take your creative career forward.
On this course, you'll extend your photographic work to postgraduate level and hone your authorial voice and engage with the debates that inform and underpin photographic practice. You'll have many opportunities to network, publicise and market your work outside of the University too, so once you graduate, you'll be better prepared for life in the creative sector.
You'll also have gained the knowledge and skills required to work effectively in the photographic industry or in a number of broader creative roles – such as writing, curating, picture editing and education.
What you'll experience
On this course you'll:
- Engage with internationally-renowned visiting speakers and practitioners – recent speakers have included photographers Martin Parr, Jason Evans, Paul Seewright, Adam Broomberg, Melanie Manchot, Julian Germain, Faisal Abdu-Allah, Tom Hunter and Eric Kessels
- Take part in study visits to galleries and photography festivals
- Make use of our extensive photographic studio facilities, including: flash and tungsten lighting set ups, digital and traditional darkrooms supporting colour and black and white photography, high-end negative scanners, ink jet printers and projection facilities
- Optimise and fine tune your portfolio with our powerful PCs and Macs, loaded with the software used by professionals, high-spec printers, and film, video and photography editing facilities
- Get hands-on with the latest production techniques and equipment, including: 3D printing, CNC milling machines, digital fabric printing, as well as printing workshops with screen printing, letterpress, laser cutting, dye sublimation and digital fabric printing facilities
- Get best practice tips and practical support from academic staff and technicians on all elements of photographic work
- Have access to our comprehensively equipped library facilities, including over 400,000 books, DVDs, maps, and thousands of online ejournals and newspapers, as well as electronic resources that are available anywhere, 24/7
Work experience and career planning
To give you the best chance of securing a great job when you graduate, our Careers and Employability service can help you find relevant work experience during your course.
We can help you identify placements, internships, voluntary roles and freelancing opportunities that will complement your studies and build your portfolio.
Careers and opportunitiesThe course may lead to opportunities in freelance photography, curating, exhibiting, assisting in a commercial photographic environment, visual content provision, picture editing, or PhD research / research-related careers.
Through seminars, project work, training and work experience, the MA Photography course will help you to engage with the creative industries of photography and its ancillary industries to be better equipped for employment and further career progression.
The MA course may lead to opportunities in:
- Freelance photography
- Assisting in a commercial photographic environment
- Visual content provider
- Picture editing
- PhD research / Research related careers
Roles our graduates may take on include:
- Research-related careers
- PhD study
- Free-lance photographers
- Assisting work
- Picture editors
- Editorial photography
- Setting up own businesses
- Digital printing and retouching
- News industry
- Picture agencies
- Galleries and museums
- Media industry
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- 023 9284 5566