A good honours degree in Civil Engineering or a related subject, or equivalent industrial and work experience.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.0 with no component score below 5.5.
Months of entry
Do you want to build on your knowledge of civil engineering by understanding how environmental factors can influence the engineering process?
On our Civil Engineering and Environmental Engineering MSc degree course, you'll learn more about the environmental considerations which shape the planning, design, construction and management of large-scale public works. You'll cover issues such as pollution, public health and resource management, and study the impacts they make.
We'll provide you with the expertise and support you need to develop your professional practice – so that once you graduate, you'll have the expertise to enter a career as a construction industry professional or environmental consultant.What you'll experience
On this course you'll:
- Learn from lectures and seminars given by experts in the field and practitioners from client, contracting and consulting organisations
- Study key civil/construction engineering and project management principles, including civil engineering science, environmental management for civil engineering and strategic and general management
- Get experience of environmental assessment techniques, plus a range of other skills such as mapping using GIS, GPS and remote sensing technologies
- Use our labs and computational equipment to carry out fluid flow modeling and chemical investigation
- Have the option to study overseas through the ERASMUS exchange scheme
- Complete an environmental engineering design project and independent research project, applying the research skills and techniques that you have learned
Work experience and career planning
We'll help you to identify internships, voluntary roles and opportunities that will complement your studies.
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Careers and opportunities
This course will give you the knowledge and skills for a successful career in the construction industry. As well as technical expertise, you'll also have the commercial and interpersonal skills required by civil and environmental engineering professionals.
You'll learn from real-world challenges within the specialist field of environmental engineering and develop a specific understanding of environmental considerations within civil engineering projects, which will help you to propose and implement environmentally sustainable solutions.
You can expect to find roles in areas such as environmental and sustainability assessment, waste management, regulation and consultancy.
Career opportunities exist in the following fields:
- Civil engineering
- Government agencies
- Environmental organisations
- Project management
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Further details of qualification
Joint Board of Moderators - Meeting the requirements for Further Learning for a Chartered Engineer (CEng) for candidates who have already acquired an Accredited CEng (Partial) BEng (Hons) or an Accredited IEng (Full) BEng/BSc (Hons) undergraduate first degree under United Kingdom Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC)
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- 023 9284 5566