A good honours degree in Civil Engineering or a related subject, or equivalent industrial and work experience.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.0 with no component score below 5.5.
Months of entry
If you've got an interest in the structure and mechanics of materials – and you're ready to help tackle the geotechnical problems posed by large-scale construction – our MSc Civil Engineering with Geotechnical Engineering degree course is for you.
On this course, you'll expand on your knowledge and experience of the core disciplines of civil engineering and develop the analytical and technical skills - such as ground investigations and soil structure testing - needed to solve geotechnical problems.
When you graduate, you'll be ready to take on ambitious roles in your career – whether that's in the civil engineering and geotechnical engineering industries, or in the related fields of mining and petroleum and environmental consultancy.
What you'll experience
- Benefit from the expertise of our academic staff and practitioners from client, contracting and consulting organisations
- Get to grips with environmental assessment techniques, plus other skills such as mapping using GIS, GPS and remote sensing technologies
- Learn more about civil and construction engineering and project management principles, and how to apply them to complex construction project problems, taking into account geotechnical factors
- Unpack topics including environmental management, civil engineering science, strategic and general management
- Complete a Geotechnical Engineering Design Project based on your own research. You'll conduct site visits outside the University and receive support from professionals in the industry
- Use our labs, including a fully equipped geological, geochemical and recently refurbished geotechnics lab, featuring the latest professional equipment
- Have access to our extensive library resources and get help with tough problems at our Maths Cafe
- Be able to study overseas through the ERASMUS exchange scheme
Work experience and career planning
We'll help you to identify internships, voluntary roles and opportunities that will complement your studies.
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Careers and opportunities
Geotechnical engineering experts are in demand. And because you're given plenty of opportunities to develop industry contacts during the course of your studies, you'll be in a strong position to secure work once you graduate. Alongside technical know-how, you'll have the commercial and interpersonal skills to give you the edge.
Career opportunities include:
- Civil engineer
- Geotechnical engineer/consultant
- Mining engineer
- Tunnelling engineer
- Petroleum companies
- Environmental consultant
- Geotechnical consultant
- The military
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Further details of qualification
Joint Board of Moderators - Meeting the requirements for Further Learning for a Chartered Engineer (CEng) for candidates who have already acquired an Accredited CEng (Partial) BEng (Hons) or an Accredited IEng (Full) BEng/BSc (Hons) undergraduate first degree under United Kingdom Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC)
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- 023 9284 5566