A 2:2 honours degree or equivalent in a relevant Earth Science or Civil Engineering field such as Geology, Earth Science Civil Engineering or a related discipline. Applicants with industrial and work experience will also be considered.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Months of entry
Ready to develop and implement engineering techniques, unpack geological structures and processes, and take your studies to postgraduate level? Our MSc Engineering Geology degree course is for you.
You'll learn the advanced skills needed to conduct detailed investigations into surface and subsurface geology, identification of adverse ground conditions, and the design of remedial measures for engineering structures such as tunnels, dams, mines, quarries, offshore platforms and wind farms.
Geological expertise is critical in all types of civil engineering projects – and when you graduate, you'll be able to answer the national and international demand for specialist engineering geologists. You'll also be able to pursue a career in the environmental, geological and geotechnical industries.
What you'll experience
- Learn from expert staff and researchers with extensive expertise in engineering geology and geotechnics
- Become skilled in lab, computer and field techniques through a combination of lectures, seminars, tutorials, workshops and practical sessions
- Get hands-on experience of environmental assessment techniques, plus a range of other skills such as mapping using GIS, GPS and remote sensing technologies
- Use our specialist equipment, including image processing software (ArcGIS, ERDAS Imagine, ER Mapper, ENVI)
- Take part in field trips, both locally and overseas, to develop your field mapping and data collection skills
- Complete your own research project in the UK or abroad
Work experience and career planning
We'll help you to identify internships, voluntary roles and opportunities that will complement your studies.
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the environmental, geological and geotechnical industries.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Careers and opportunities
Potential roles include geotechnical engineer, engineering geologist, mining engineer and tunneling engineer for major mining companies, as well as environmental, geological and geotechnical consultancies.
Our previous graduates have also pursued careers in:
- Aid organisations
- Environmental organisations
- Offshore work
- Civil service
- Insurance companies
What's more, you'll have excellent opportunities for employment overseas. Some of our graduates have found work in Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Hong Kong.
This course also has strong research and analytical components, ideal if you wish to pursue further research at PhD level.
We'll give you as much support as possible in finding employment through close industrial contacts, careers events, recruitment fairs and individual advice.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Further details of qualification
The Geological Society
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- 023 9284 5566