A second-class honours degree or equivalent in a Science or Engineering subject. Professionals with other qualifications and a minimum of three years relevant industrial experience may also be considered.English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.0 with no component score below 5.5.
Months of entry
If you want to turbo-charge your engineering career in the gas and petroleum industry – and get a postgraduate qualification while developing your current skills and experience too – our MSc Petroleum and Gas Engineering degree course is the perfect choice.
You'll unpack key industry themes, such as Formation Evaluation, Reservoir Engineer and Reservoir Simulation. You'll learn to evaluate technologies for safe production and for enhancing the recovery of hydrocarbon oil and gas too.
And because you'll be taught by industry professionals and expert academic staff, you'll develop a relevant skillset that's specifically designed to meet the demand for petroleum and gas specialists in the industry.
Please note, if you're an international student, you'll need to get clearance to study this degree course from the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office, under the Academic Tech Approval Scheme (ATAS).
What you'll experience
On this course you'll:
- Get hands on, with field work across geological sites in the UK
- Learn about the key themes in the industry, including Petroleum Fundamentals and Exploration,
Reservoir Characterisation, Reservoir Engineering and Simulation, Well Engineering, Unconventional Resources, Energy Economics Management and Risk Analysis
- Complete an industry-relevant project on a subject of your choice
- Use the latest experimental and computational facilities in our labs. Our computer suites feature analysis and simulation software used by professionals including Schlumberger package, ECLIPSE, Petrel, Pipe Sim, Techlog, Sapphire and CMG
- Sharpen your knowledge of current hardware and software development tools for design, development and implementation.
- Be able to explore mud rheology and drilling as well as reservoir characterisation and simulation
- Benefit from the extensive resources available in our University library, including books, DVDs, electronic resources and maps
Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) Portsmouth Chapter
The SPE Chapter is organised managed and run by the students, for the students, under the guidelines of SPE International. The Chapter regularly host events featuring guest lecturers from industry, as well as showcasing all SPE UK webinars. It also organises field trips and careers seminars.
Work experience and career planning
We'll help you to identify internships, voluntary roles and opportunities that will complement your studies.
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the Petroleum and Gas Engineering industry.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Careers and opportunities
When you graduate, you'll have the skills and knowledge for a successful career in the expanding Petroleum upstream industry.
Career opportunities include:
- Oil and gas exploration
- Reservoir modelling
- Engineering and management
- Drilling and production
- Product marketing
- Management and finance
We'll provide you with as much support as possible in finding employment through close industrial contacts, careers events, recruitment fairs and individual advice.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- 023 9284 5566