This course is available to Applicants with current registration with the Dental Council, or equivalent Professional body to practice dentistry clinically. Students who have previously achieved the PgDip in Advanced Aesthetic and Restorative Dentistry are able to apply to the MSc to complete the final research year.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Months of entry
On this 1-year MSc Advanced Aesthetic and Restorative Dentistry, you'll top-up your PgDip to a Master's degree while you contribute to the scientific discourse on aesthetic and restorative dentistry through extensive clinical research.
You'll explore a research area of your choice within your own practice, with full support and guidance from Dental Academy clinicians and researchers.
You'll embark on your own structured programme of research, evaluating existing studies and technological innovations and using them to inform your analysis. With the opportunity to learn from and network with experienced registered clinicians, you'll develop your own new perspectives, evaluate your practice objectively and add to the conversation on dental practice advancement.
When you graduate, you'll be ready to enrich the field of aesthetic and restorative dentistry best practice as an expert contributor or to pursue further dental research. With further education and training, you could also progress into dental education.
What you'll experience
On this course, you'll:
- Set your own goals for the academic year, planning, implementing and evaluating learning activities and taking part in online sessions at your own pace
- Have access to comprehensive online resources and expert guidance from researchers at the University's Dental Academy who are working in areas such as children's oral health, dental care for new and expecting mothers, oral health within the older community, and community outreach dental activities
- Choose your own research project in a clinical area of aesthetic and restorative dentistry that interests you
- Submit an ethics proposal of your chosen project and a full literature review supporting your research Investigate the research design, data collection and analysis and research processes of your project
- Collect data and use current evidence within your own practice to solve clinical questions
- Analyse, evaluate and interpret the results of your research project, contributing to the scientific discourse on aesthetic and restorative dentistry
- Develop valuable transferable skills, including communication (verbal and in writing) to different audiences and readerships, project organisation, time management and independent critical thinking
Work experience and career planning
This course allows you to top up your PgDip Advanced Aesthetic and Restorative Dentistry to a full Master's qualification of the same title.
When you complete the course, you'll be able to add your own findings to the field of aesthetic and restorative dentistry research, contributing to the ongoing development of patient care techniques.
Alternatively, and with further education and training, you could work in areas such as:
- MPhil and PhD further study
- Dental education
- Product manufacture
- Dental accreditation
- Dental insurance
- Other healthcare service providers
Fees and funding
For information about fees and funding your studies, please visit: https://www.port.ac.uk/study/masters-and-postgraduate-taught/fees-and-funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- University Admissions Centre
- +44 (0)23 9284 5566