Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
A second-class honours degree or equivalent, plus initial teacher training and a minimum of three months full-time, relevant, teaching experience. If you do not have relevant teaching experience, you can still apply for our campus programme, and you will study an additional non-credit bearing module The Classroom Practice of TESOL at no additional cost.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.5.
Months of entry
Are you a teacher of English to speakers of other languages, including ELT, TESOL or TEFL?
If so, or if you're looking to begin a career as a teacher of English to speakers of other languages, this 2-year MA Applied Linguistics and TESOL (with Professional Experience) degree will enable you to enhance your skills and employability with real workplace experience.
If you've completed initial ELT, TESOL or TEFL teacher training but you don't yet have a minimum of three months full-time teaching experience, you can still apply for this course and do an extra module to build up your practical teaching skills.
During your first year you'll be taught by our linguistics experts at the University, learning to apply the latest TESOL theory to classroom situations and critically evaluate your own approaches to teaching in a global context. You'll also work on lesson and course planning and design, and learn how to conduct and analyse research into teaching techniques.
In year 2, you'll apply your learning on a 12-month work placement or professional experience programme tailored to your career goals.
You'll graduate with the communication and intercultural skills and expertise to work as a more effective and well-rounded TESOL practitioner, in the UK or overseas. You could also go on to roles in areas such as educational management or leadership, curriculum development, editing, publishing or advertising.
- Gain first-hand experience on a 12-month professional experience module or work placement related to your chosen career, allowing you to apply theory to practice and build a solid professional network
- Enhance your abilities to teach English to speakers of other languages in the UK and around the world
- Expand your knowledge of the theories and methods used in linguistics, and conduct and analyse research into teaching techniques
- Reflect on your classroom practice in order to improve the way you teach
- Learn to effectively plan and design lessons and courses
Fees and funding
For information about fees and funding your studies, please visit: https://www.port.ac.uk/study/masters-and-postgraduate-taught/fees-and-funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- +44 (0)23 9284 5566