A minimum of a second-class honours degree in a related subject. Equivalent qualifications and/or notable experience as a creative writer will also be considered. An online portfolio submission may be required as part of the selection process. English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Months of entry
Where better to take your writing to the next level than the home city of literary greats like Charles Dickens and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle?
On this MA Creative Writing degree course, you'll study the genres that inspire you the most – from poetry and historical fiction, to screenwriting and crime – and spend plenty of time writing and critiquing new work of your own.
If you're imaginative, ambitious and ready to devote yourself to improving your writing, it's time to take your studies to the next level with us. We'll give you the tools you need for a successful career as a writer, or in fields such as publishing, media, and education.
What you'll experience
- Get to grips with different writing techniques and study contemporary skills to inspire and entertain your audience through the power of the written word
- Learn from lecturers with professional experience, many of whom are established writers
- Complete a major project in the form of your own novel, screenplay or poem
- Take part in writer's workshops, where you'll develop your own skills and constructively contribute to the work of other writers
- Learn about the market and current debates within differing genres
- Hear from accomplished guest speakers from the worlds of publishing and writing
- Tap in to our Library’s vast selection of electronic resources, including computing and printing facilities, and 24-hour internet access
- Join our community of writers
Work experience and career planning
We'll help you to identify internships, voluntary roles and opportunities that will complement your studies.
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- 023 9284 5566