A 2:1 honours degree or equivalent in a relevant subject. Professional experience and other qualifications may be taken into consideration for applicants not meeting this requirement.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Months of entry
Biotechnology is a rapidly expanding industry, driven by the development of molecular biological research, the growth of the ‘green economy’, and advances in the use of biotechnology in medical diagnosis, therapeutics and biomedical research.
If you're ready to take your previous studies in a science discipline to postgraduate level, then our MSc Medical Biotechnology degree course will help you develop advanced skills in molecular biotechnology. You'll also build on your understanding of how diagnostics, therapeutics and biomedical research are applied in molecular medicine, the energy sector and industry.
When you graduate, you'll have the skills, knowledge and qualifications for a successful career in research or industry in the biotechnology sector, or in the fields of bioscience or pharmaceutics.
What you'll experience
- Develop a practical and theoretical understanding of the molecular techniques used in the biotechnology sector
- Learn how these are applied in diagnostics, therapeutics and molecular medicine
- Develop your practical skills using professional research equipment in the University's complex of over 30 laboratories
- Conduct your own medical biotechnology research, in areas such as pathology, drug development, business or bioinformatics
- Have the option to study additional topics in the field, including clinical pathology, drug design and clinical trials, business skills for biotechnology and bioinformatics and omics
- Be supported by a team of expert scientists
- Use our specialist facilities, including microscopy for imaging at both the cellular and molecular level
Work experience and career planning
We'll help you to identify voluntary roles and opportunities that will complement your studies.
When you complete this course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the heritage, teaching, or other related industries.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Careers and opportunities
When you graduate from our MSc Medical Biotechnology degree course, you'll be qualified for a career within small and medium-sized enterprises and global business in the area of Biotechnology, as well as public and private health service providers. You'll have practical and theoretical skills in Medical Biotechnology, as well as transferable skills as problem-solving and research.
Career opportunities include:
- Product development
- Research scientist
- Diagnostics and pathology lab work
- PhD study
We'll provide you with as much support as possible in finding employment through close industrial contacts, careers events, recruitment fairs and individual advice.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- 023 9284 5566