A good honours degree in a relevant subject, or equivalent professional experience and/or qualifications. Preferably, applicants will have experience of working in a managerial role in a public sector organisation. Applicants may be subject to interview.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Months of entry
If you're already working in public administration, a Master's degree can give you the knowledge, skills and experience you need to advance your career, take on ambitious roles, and become an expert in your field.
On this MPA Public Administration degree course, you'll cover public policy, service and administration from an inter-cultural, inter-professional and inter-organisational perspective. You'll unpack specialist subjects, such as the legal system and corporate governance, and learn transferable skills that will be valuable in your career.
We'll provide the expertise and support so you can take your skills and knowledge straight into your job – so that once you graduate, you'll be able to explore new options, or seek promotion opportunities.
You can study this course on campus or via distance learning. If you choose to study via distance learning, you can fit your studies around your existing commitments.
- Look at how and why public policies are produced and implemented
- Get specialist subject knowledge in fields relevant to your career choices, like citizenship issues, the legal system and corporate governance
- Compare policy processes and outputs within specific fields, including health, education, welfare, economic development, defence, policing and European integration
- Understand public policies, management systems and administrative systems from an international perspective
- Learn how to assess the effectiveness of public organisations
- Complete a personal project on a topic of your choice
- Make the most of our facilities, including a study centre and library, with 24/7 access to publications, including ejournals and newspapers
- Be supported by professional, enthusiastic staff and benefit from our flexible approach to learning, with web, email and phone access to many of our facilities and services
Work experience and career planning
We'll help you to identify internships, voluntary roles and opportunities that will complement your studies.
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Careers and opportunities
The course delivers lifelong transferable skills that you'll be able to apply to complex issues, both systematically and creatively, throughout your career. When you graduate, you'll be able to work with self-direction and originality, and contribute to public administration in local, regional or central government, or in an organisation working in partnership with the Government.
We'll provide you with as much support as possible in finding employment through close industrial contacts, careers events, recruitment fairs and individual advice.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Further details of qualification
1 year full time distance learning, 2 years part time distance learning
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- 023 9284 5566