You are normally required to have a good undergraduate honours degree (or equivalent from a university outside the UK). However, our participants come with a variety of relevant legal and non-legal experience and all applicants are considered on individual merit.
Months of entry
The University of Reading School of Law is a leading UK law school with a world-class reputation and global outlook. We were ranked 10th for research intensity in a recent national assessment, with 100% of our research rated as world leading or internationally excellent.
We offer a dynamic and international learning environment. Our teaching is supported by first-class research conducted by renowned experts across the main fields of national, European and international law. Our Centre for Commercial Law and Financial Regulation is a forum for stimulating and conducting research and disseminating knowledge on international commercial law. You will also benefit from our strong links with the Graduate Institute of Political and International Studies, Henley Business School, and the International Capital Market Association (ICMA) Centre. Students on the Global Law LLM programmes benefit from links with the Walker Institute, the School of Politics, Economics and International Relations, the School of Agriculture, Policy and Development, and with Global Law at Reading (GLAR). Based at the School of Law, GLAR is a research hub which offers networking, conference and work experience opportunities.
Alongside your core subjects, there will be career development and co-curricular opportunities and a series of guest lectures by practitioners. We offer double master’s programmes with a wide range of leading partner universities worldwide, including Peking University and Renmin University in China, ALBA in Greece, MGIMO in Russia, Hanyang University in South Korea, and CYCU and National Taipei University in Taiwan.
Interdisciplinary approach, combining law and business • Examination of law from a comparative, international and interdisciplinary perspective • High-quality teaching and support by expert academic researchers and practitioners • Learn from a variety of guest speakers, academics and practitioners • Modules offered by the School of Law and the ICMA Centre • Links with employers and the opportunity to gain real-world experience
A postgraduate law degree will open many doors for you, not only in specialised areas of employment, such as law firms, European and intergovernmental and nongovernmental organisations (NGOs), but also in academia (with further postgraduate study), the media (journalism and broadcasting), the civil service, and other branches of public service. Graduates from our LLM programmes have gone on to work for a range of national and international law firms, as lawyers and as in-house legal counsel for large multinational companies in the UK and abroad, as well as international organisations and NGOs.
Pathways are offered for those who wish to specialise in a particular area of commercial law:
Competition Law and Regulation:
• Cutting-edge curriculum focusing on the legal, economic and regulatory aspects of competition law policy • An opportunity to explore the main challenges posed by the increased globalisation and expansion of competition law • Leads to careers in government agencies, international courts and tribunals, multinational corporations, law firms, and academia (subject to further study)
Energy Law and Natural Resources:
• Develop knowledge and expertise related to the legal aspects of the energy sector, including renewable energies, oil and gas and environmental issues • Choose from modules offered by the School of Law, School of Agriculture, Policy and Development, School of Geography and Environmental Science, and Henley Business School • Leads to careers in the energy sector
Information Technology Law and Commerce:
• Develop a comprehensive overview of issues related to IT law and e-commerce • Gain advanced knowledge of the regulatory and legal protection offered to online transactions • Study modules offered by the School of Law and Henley Business School • Leads to careers in government agencies, multinational corporations, law firms, IT sector; and academia (subject to further study)
Insolvency and Corporate Rescue
• One of very few programmes in the UK addressing corporate insolvency issues • Advanced knowledge of formal and informal debt restructuring procedures and detailed knowledge of a globally recognised rescue system • Leads to careers in corporate banking, corporate finance, private equity and venture capital, large corporations in need of restructuring, academia (subject to further study)
Intellectual Property Law and Management
• The only LLM in the UK offering law and management of intellectual property • Links with employers and opportunities to gain real-world experience • Interdisciplinary approach combining law and business • Choose from modules offered by the Schools of Law, Arts and Communication Design, and Henley Business School • Leads to careers in life sciences, healthcare, communications and IT sectors, law firms, entertainment and media companies, international organisations, government and non-governmental organisations, academia (subject to further study)
International Banking Law and Financial Regulation
• Develop commercial law knowledge combined with expertise in issues related to banking law and financial markets regulation • Gain advanced knowledge of the regulatory and legal framework governing financial markets and financial intermediaries • Modules offered from the International Capital Markets Association (ICMA) Centre • Potential to move into specialised careers in the banking and financial sectors
International Corporate Finance
• Develop multi-dimensional knowledge of the core issues in international corporate finance at national, international and trans-national levels • Benefit from modules offered from the International Capital Markets Association (ICMA) Centre • Leads to careers in the following sectors: accountancy, corporate banking, corporate finance, investment banking, private equity and venture capital, and academia (subject to further study)
International Dispute Resolution (Arbitration)
• Accredited by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) • Commercial law knowledge combined with a detailed and unique awareness and expertise in dispute resolution • Leads to careers in government agencies, international courts and tribunals, multinational corporations, law firms, and academia (subject to further st
International Economic Law
• Develop an understanding of the policy issues that arise in the development and implementation of the international economic legal framework • Choose from modules on international economic law and sectors including finance, trade, innovation and investment • Leads to careers in government agencies, international courts and tribunals, multinational corporations, law firms, and academia (subject to further study)
Oil and Gas Law
• Study legal aspects of the oil and gas industry alongside international commercial law • Choose from modules offered by the Schools of Law, Agriculture, Policy and Development, Geography and Environmental Science, and Henley Business School • Leads to careers in the oil and gas industry, government agencies, international courts and tribunals, multinational corporations, law firms, and academia (subject to further study)
Information for international students
The School of Law has a large international student community and a dedicated international student support officer. For entry, evidence of English Language ability required. Normal requirements are: an overall score of 6.5 in the International English Language Test Score (IELTS) with no individual element scoring less than 5.5
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Alina Tryfonidou