A good honours degree (minimum 2:2, or for maths, physics and physics with maths applicants minimum class 3 with at least a grade B in the relevant A Level) in one of our teaching subjects or with a strong element of a teaching subject (see below).
You also need grade C in English Language and Mathematics at GCSE, or the equivalent.
Candidates without these qualifications may either take the necessary examinations in the year before the course starts or take our entrance test in English and/or Mathematics.
You need to pass the professional skills tests before the start of the course.
Months of entry
Our graduates make great teachers. It’s that simple. The Initial Teacher Education (ITE) course helps you develop an understanding of research, policies and practice relating to education in general and secondary education in particular. You’ll analyse and reflect on what you learn to connect research with the classroom.
We teach an approach to your work that will stay with you throughout your career. Our graduates are dedicated to lifelong learning, developing their professional practice, and using classroom-based research. You’ll learn everything the qualified teacher needs to know about planning, teaching, learning, assessing, policies and processes.
We offer a provider-led route plus School Direct with a choice of five different clusters of schools.
The routes are all quite similar, but the main differences for the School Direct routes are:
- You’ll have your two school placements in the schools within the cluster that you are attached to, rather than in any school across the partnership.
- The schools in your cluster will have a greater input into the PGDE programme throughout the year.
- There will be a strong possibility of securing employment within the cluster of schools that you are attached to, subject to availability and suitability.
Please see our University website for the most up-to-date course information: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/courses
Information for international students
GCSE English Language grade C. Applicants requiring a Tier 4 student visa should also present an overall IELTS score of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each component, or equivalent.)
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time9 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions Tutor
- +44 (0)114 222 8177