Minimum 2:1 undergraduate honours degree in physics.
Months of entry
This course teaches you about aspects of quantum physics that are paving the way for quantum technologies. You will study the fundamental properties of light and matter, and how they interact with each other. This includes learning how semiconductors are used in electronic and optoelectronic devices, ranging from nanophotonic circuits, and micro- and nano-sources of quantum light, to photovoltaic solar cells.
By formulating complex equations that describe the theory, and seeing how it’s put into practice with experiments in the lab, you’ll develop expertise that can be applied to some of the biggest challenges in science and technology, from new semiconductor nanostructures and 2D materials to building an optical quantum computer. You’ll learn how your specialist knowledge can be applied in the computing, electronics and telecommunications industries.
The biggest part of your degree is your research project. Possible topics include:
- theory of quantum optical information processing
- spin phenomena in semiconductor nanostructures
- integrated photonic structures for QIP
- novel atomically thin 2D materials for optoelectronic applications
- nonlinear and hybrid-light matter phases in photonic geometries
- perovskites and organic semiconductor for photovoltaics
- organic sensor devices
- physics of polymer crystallisation
Please see our University website for the most up-to-date course information: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/courses
Information for international students
English language requirements
Overall IELTS score of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each component, or equivalent.
For more information about entry requirements for international students, please visit https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/international/applying/postgraduate-taught
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions Tutor
- +44 (0)114 222 3789