A first class undergraduate degree in physics or a related subject.
Months of entry
This masters by research course brings together the University of Sheffield’s expertise in quantum photonics and nanomaterials.
There is a particular focus on the study of novel fundamental phenomena in condensed matter systems as well as applications in quantum information processing, photovoltaics and optoelectronics.
- Optical Properties of Solids
- Advanced Electromagnetism
- Semiconductor Physics and Technology
- Research Skills in Physics
- Solid State Physics
- Research Project in Physics
Examples of optional modules
Choose from a range including:
- Biological Physics
- Magnetic Resonance: Principles and Applications
- Physics in an Enterprise Culture
- Further Quantum Mechanics
- Advanced Quantum Mechanics
- The Physics of Soft Condensed Matter
- Statistical Physics
Teaching and assessment
One-year individual programme of research.
Taught material is complemented by a 12-month research project in one of our world-leading research groups.
Your training will cover optical experiments and fabrication of devices in our state-of-the-art laboratories as well as numerical methods and more.
1 year full-time
Information for international students
Overall IELTS grade of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each component, or equivalent.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions Tutor
- +44 (0)114 222 3789