- Hold a degree or, where relevant, evidence of working at degree level
- Have a completed a minimum of 96 direct teaching hours in counselling theory and skills (some of which is CBT)*
- Have completed 60 hours training in professional practice issues *
- Evidence relevant experience in the health and social care field in the public, private or voluntary areas
*this is equivalent to the Postgraduate Certificate in Counselling Skills at USW
- Relevant professional qualification (e.g. registered mental health nurse; occupational therapist, counselling psychologist; clinical psychologist; qualified social worker; accredited/registered counsellor/psychotherapist; psychiatrist; General Practitioner or other profession recognised as core by the BABCP
- Have completed an introductory training in counselling theory and skills, including CBT, as part of their previous training
In addition, you will need to meet the following criteria:
- Enhanced DBS check
- Two references uploaded with your application (one from your current/previous counselling tutor)
- A confirmed suitable placement for counselling practice.
Months of entry
The BACP-accredited Postgraduate Diploma Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy (CBP) is aimed at those who are interested in a professional training to become a psychotherapist, with Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) as the core theoretical orientation.
The Postgraduate Diploma CBP is the most comprehensive CBT training in South Wales and the curriculum and requirements of the course have been designed to equip individuals to apply for individual accreditation with the British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies(BABCP).
USW's Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy course is accredited by the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy. BACP accreditation for a course which is CBT in orientation highlights the emphasis the course gives to the therapeutic relationship and the development of core psychotherapy skills whilst equipping students to work effectively as CBT practitioners.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Enquiries and Admissions