Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
We welcome applications from students holding, or expecting to hold, an upper second-class honours degree or higher, or equivalent.
Months of entry
In addition to the standard mode of teaching over a semester, we offer stand-alone short courses which are taken over a period of 12 weeks. These are designed to meet the needs of busy mid-career professionals, new entrants to the University and the social sciences, or returners to education who wish to pursue the particular subject area. The short courses can also be taken as part of continuing professional development (CPD). If three of the four modules are completed successfully, a PG Cert Gerontology will be awarded; however, in this case, the tuition fees for the PG Cert apply.
Population ageing can pose both challenges and opportunities for individuals and their families, as well as for policymakers. Short courses in Gerontology last for 12 weeks and are an effective way of introducing yourself to the study of ageing, or more specialised topics such as mental health, demographic change around the world or poverty and social protection. Such courses can benefit your work as a professional in a range of sectors such as the health and social care, or policy sector. We also offer a Short Course in the use of quantitative or qualitative research methods, using specialised software.
The aims of the short courses are to provide you with:
- critical appreciation of key theoretical perspectives in gerontology and their application to the analysis of issues concerning ageing and the life course
- understanding of contemporary debates in gerontology surrounding the lives of older people, their families and societies in developed and developing countries
- the ability to evaluate policies and initiatives concerning population ageing, welfare provision and quality of life of older people, their families and carers
- preparation for, and professional development in, a career in the field of gerontology and applied health and social sciences
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time3 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- +44 (0)23 8059 2980