Successful applicants will typically be expected to have a first class honours degree (or overseas equivalent), or a distinction at Master’s level, in Chemistry or a closely related discipline.
Months of entry
TMCS is the EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Theory and Modelling in Chemical Sciences, based at the Universities of Oxford, Bristol and Southampton.
The TMCS academics at the University of Southampton are:
- Professor Jon Essex
- Professor Graeme Day
- Professor Jeremy Frey
- Dr Syma Khalid
- Professor Chris Skylaris
We offer a wide range of PhD research projects funded through TMCS. Applications directly to TMCS are accepted, in which case project selection/ allocation will take place part way through year one.
Alternatively you can apply in advance to secure one of these specific projects:
- Coarse-grain modelling of biological systems
- The molecular simulation approach to facilitate the fight against 'superbugs'
- Nitronic Acids: Properties and Behaviour at Interfaces
- Developing the next generation of large-scale quantum chemistry simulations
- Driving materials discovery using crystal structure prediction
- Pharmaceutical crystal structure prediction and modelling (Industry funded)
In addition, you are very welcome to contact any of the academics through the links above for informal discussions about possible projects.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Natural and Environmental Science